Grounds for improvement

The beginning of the semester is an apt time for students to find new groups, and thereby themselves

These past two weeks have been really busy for me and classes have only been part of the problem. Reading over syllabi and reviewing things I learned last semester have not kept me up late. The greatest challenge I am likely to face this semester, with the possible exception of physics, is fulfilling my obligations to the various clubs and activities that I’ve become a part of since I first stepped on Grounds roughly one year ago.

I showed up to begin my second year more than a week before many of my peers in order to prepare for and execute Orientation Week for the new class of Navy ROTC students. After O-Week, there were meetings to go to and people to contact for other organizations. And all the while I was receiving emails from The Cavalier Daily asking when I could have a column written and turned in. And it was the hectic scurrying around I did those weeks that spurred me to write about club and organizational involvement at the University.

Like many students, I took time on the last day before classes to attend the Activities Fair. There were more interesting and promising clubs than I had time to investigate, and each one was sorely tempting. I put my name on several lists and was encouraged by members, both as I signed up and later when some stopped by to wish me well, to make their organization a part of my college experience. I attended some initial meetings and plan on adding at least one new club to my permanent schedule.

You will likely hear this pitch a lot in the coming weeks, but here is my take: Getting involved here at the University is an endeavor that is as rewarding as it is challenging. For all of you first years just now learning your way around Grounds, I would encourage you to get started, and get started early. You will not regret it.

I know a lot of people who use college as a four-year opportunity to drink and party and act irresponsibly in the kind of safety-bubble that college provides. Parents are away, and the real world is not quite imposing itself either. And some of this resultant craziness has its place – it is certainly part of what many people consider to be the typical college life. But it is in the less glamorized aspects of the college experience that I find the most fulfillment.

It is not always easy – odds are I wrote this column thinking about a lot of other work I needed to do and other emails I needed to send. But when I see the finished column in The Cavalier Daily, or when I contribute to my other organizations, I get a sense of accomplishment that cannot be found at yet another pre-game.

I have the rest of my life to drink and go to parties. These four years are filled with almost limitless possibilities constantly clamoring for students’ attention. I bet even the most involved student leaves here with some regrets about missed opportunities. I doubt anyone leaves the University wishing he had done less with his time. Most know the line “Nobody ever wishes they’d slept more during college.” It is a sentiment I have heard echoed by several graduates, and this has only encouraged me to get as much done as I can with these remaining three years.

Involvement in organizations looks great on any resume. Such involvement shows potential employers that you are a multi-faceted and self-motivated individual who is not afraid to put in a little extra time. In a time when college students are having a hard time finding a good job right after graduation, a padded resume certainly will not hurt.

Whether you are a University Democrat or a College Republican, Gleek or Club Athlete, Christian, Jew, Muslim, or Atheist, odds are there numerous clubs that are looking for someone like you. And it is not all about helping the club. It may sound trite, but college clubs, and college in general, is a great time to learn more about yourself. I was not sure I wanted to be an ROTC guy when I first arrived here, but a year later, I feel at home in the uniform, and with the high quality people with whom I work and learn. The same is true for the newspaper. My first few weeks were not easy, but the people, and the pride in the paper I developed, have kept me around.

It does not really matter where you go. First or fourth year, you can make the most of the 2012-2013 academic year, make some friends and memories, build a reputation and discover an identity that will be with you long after your time here on Grounds.

Sam Novack’s column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at s.novack@cavalierdaily.com