Cannaday assumes new duties

The University recently announced Billy Cannaday, dean of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies, will take on new duties in the newly-created position of vice provost for academic outreach while continuing his duties as dean.

In his new post, Cannaday will be in charge of developing collaborative strategies to better serve students who take classes off Grounds.

Cannaday will work with deans, faculty and alumni to “create a strategy for fulfilling the University’s academic outreach mission as a public university,” according to a University press statement released last week. He will continue to report to John Simon, the University’s executive vice president and provost.

The University currently offers classes in regional centers located in Northern Virginia, Richmond, Newport News, Abingdon and Roanoke, and about a quarter of the classes offered through the School of Continuing and Professional Studies have some online component.

“New technology that enables hybrid or fully online instruction is the key to increasing access to the University’s academic experience from beyond Grounds, for both traditional-age students and older adult learners,” he said in the release.

Cannaday said these changes would not “diminish [the] quality of the student experience” or faculty’s ability to connect meaningfully with their students.

“We need a safe way for faculty to experience the new technology,” Cannaday said in the release. “[One such way is] by learning from fellow colleagues who can model and champion the benefits, and share how it has enabled them to engage students in new ways. In this new role, I will make it a priority to increase the number of such faculty ambassadors.”

Cannaday, who earned a salary of $262,500 for the 2011-12 school year, will not receive a pay raise for filling this role.

“Mr. Cannaday was excited to take on these added responsibilities and title for no additional compensation,” Simon said in an email. “The role naturally complements his Dean’s role and integrates outreach through one point in the administration.”