History professor named Kissinger Chair at Library of Congress

History Prof. William Hitchcock was named this week to the Henry A. Kissinger Chair in Foreign Policy and International Relations at the Library of Congress, where he will spend six months researching his upcoming book on President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Hitchcock is a senior scholar for the Miller Center. Much of his scholarly research focuses on World War II and the Cold War. His upcoming book is titled “The Age of Eisenhower: America and the World in the 1950s.”

“While some overlook the 50s, it was in fact the time of dramatic change in American society — especially on the civil rights front — and it was also a time of extraordinary growth in American prosperity and power in the world,” Hitchcock said in an email Thursday. “Eisenhower serves as a biographical entry point to explore the wider changes in America during this key decade.”

In 2008 Hitchcock published a book called “The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe,” a multinational history of Europe during and directly after World War II.

“I have [always] been most interested in the way that the Western world, mainly Europe and the United States, recovered from the world’s most terrible war, WWII, and managed to chart a path to stability and order,” Hitchcock said. “It is hard to imagine a war like the Second World War ever happening in our lifetime.”

The application process for the chair, located in the Library’s John W. Kluge Center, is quite competitive. The recipient is chosen based on recommendations from the academic community and foreign policy experts. The center — just a short walk from the Capitol — aims to foster interaction between scholars and policymakers.

Hitchcock will receive a stipend of $13,500 per month during his term of appointment at the center.

“The Library of Congress has a rich collection of papers and manuscripts from many of the key political actors in this decade,” Hitchcock said. “It also has the world’s largest collection of books and printed materials. I couldn’t be at a better place to research this project.”