'Hummingbird' flies high

Local Natives' latest record proves soaring success

In the four years between Local Natives’ debut album Gorilla Manor and 2013’s Hummingbird, the band noticeably underwent a lot of growth, both musically and emotionally. Gorilla Manor embodied carefree youth, sung with characteristic three-part harmonies reminiscent of the easygoing lightheartedness found only under the warmth of a California sun, whereas Hummingbird is its natural winter counterpart. In Hummingbird, those harmonies the Local Natives used to make a name for themselves are replaced with more solo singing by frontman Kelcey Ayer.

Producer Aaron Dessner, known for his work with The National, provides somber influences on this album, which — when combined with the death of Ayer’s mother — has marked the Natives’ music with mellow sadness. It’s a significant change for the band, but the tone of the music doesn’t lose its quality in any way, shape or form.

The opening track on Hummingbird immediately draws this stark contrast between these two equally fantastic albums. Gorilla Manor opened with a summertime tune “Wide Eyes,” whereas Hummingbird begins with a deeper context. The track, titled “You & I,” takes the listeners away to “places we don’t know” on a heartfelt falsetto chorus and ascending vocals. The song sets the mood for the rest of the album by instilling a sense of hopelessness and uncertainty.

“Heavy Feet,” however, is the real star of Hummingbird. Few feelings can compare to falling madly in love with a new song the first time you hear it, and I was able to experience just that. I’ve been playing it on repeat since the album’s release, and my roommate will just have to deal with my obsession until it passes. Why use headphones when I could share a fantastic example of musical genius?

On a more tragic note, in the song “Colombia” Ayer addresses his mother’s death with lyrics that are painfully honest, but beautiful. This song evokes a sincere yet tragic emotion that creates the climax of the album. It is “Colombia” that gives the album’s title meaning with a culmination of the sorrow and heartache that has been building up from the start — emotions one would associate with a hummingbird. “Colombia” is, after “Heavy Feet,” the best track on Hummingbird.

There is always fear of a sophomore slump after a debut album as good as Gorilla Manor, but Local Natives didn’t disappoint. Hummingbird is an exploration — an introspective look — and we spectators are taken along for the ride. With Hummingbird, Local Natives proves that they are more than capable of expanding their abilities as musicians, leaving me excited to see what they have in store for us in the future.