Relay for Life at U.Va. hosts 11th annual event

More than 1,000 students, community members raise nearly $140,000 for cancer research, awareness

At its 11th annual event, the University’s chapter of Relay for Life surpassed records from all previous years, bringing in more than $138,000. More than 1,000 students and community members gathered in Memorial Gymnasium Friday for the year-long campaign’s culminating event, a 12-hour, non-stop walk-a-thon designed to raise funds and awareness for cancer and cancer research.

But this year’s event was significant for more than just its financial milestone, said Jane Johnson, the American Cancer Society staff partner for the University’s Relay for Life team.

“The American Cancer Society is celebrating its 100th birthday this month,” Johnson said. “It’s a great point of pride for us.”

The night’s festivities included a speech by Environmental Science Prof. Janet Herman, a survivor’s lap around the gym which included members of the University community, a Miss Relay pageant with the Whethermen and a Tae Kwon Do demonstration.

Herman, a cancer survivor of more than eight years, spoke about the importance of the event and gave thanks to the American Cancer Society for its help during her battle with cancer. She said the organization gave her an outpouring of support during her time of need, and events like Relay for Life helped inspire her to continue fighting her cancer.

“The notion of you walking [at Relay for Life], putting one foot in front of the other — literally — is awe-inspiring and really emblematic,” Herman said.

Zoe Hardy, a fourth-year in the College and event co-chair, said she was thrilled not only about the event’s financial success, but also about its resonance with the University community.

“[You] walk into O’Hill, you hear people talk about how excited they are,” Hardy said. “You don’t even recognize the people involved anymore. There are so many people excited to be a part of the cause, passionate about the fight against cancer.”

A portion of the money raised at the event will go the University Hospital for cancer research.