Seven Cavs win titles at Cal Tri Meet

Men's, women's teams each finish distant third to ranked California, Michigan squads

The Virginia men and women’s track and field team dueled with two of the nation’s most esteemed public institutions Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. The Cavaliers won a total of seven events across the male and female competitions, and both teams finished in third place.

The Virginia women claimed four events en route to an 86-point performance, 67 points behind winner No. 9 Michigan and 56 behind No. 11 California. Junior Abbey Karin won the javelin throw with a mark of 148-11 and senior Pearl Bickersteth took first place in the high jump at 5-7.25. In the running events, sophomore Vanessa Fabrizio came out on top in the 800 with a time of 2:08.17, while fellow sophomore Jordan Lavender sprinted his way to first place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.26.

Three other female Cavaliers, meanwhile, enjoyed career days in distance events despite falling short of individual titles. Senior Vicky Fouhy ran a 4:19.01 in the 1500 meter, the ninth fastest time in program history, while junior Barbara Strehler and sophomore Kathleen Stevens both set personal best times in the 3000-meter run.

On the men’s side of the action the Cavaliers won three events and scored 93 points, 68 behind No. 12 California and 52 shy of No. 15 Michigan. Senior pole vaulter Matthew Armentrout cleared the bar at 15-9 to equal his outdoor best mark and claim first place for the men’s only non-running event victory. Sophomore Payton Hazzard ran a 47.32 in the 400 dash to outpace the field. Finally, sophomore Kyle King finished first with teammates junior Taylor Gilland and sophomore Colin Mearns crossing the line directly after him to complete the sweep and prolong Virginia’s dominance in the 3000-meter steeplechase.

Virginia now shifts its attention toward next weekend’s George Mason Spring Invitational.