Reeling Virginia hosts Homecomings game

Cavaliers face Georgia Tech's vaunted triple option offense, seek to end four-game skid

In the midst of a four-game losing streak, increased attention is perhaps not what the Virginia football team wants. But with their Saturday game against Georgia Tech falling during Homecomings, the Cavaliers will have to attempt to right the ship in front of expectant alumni.

“We know there will be a lot of alumni coming back and a lot of eyes fixed on Charlottesville once again,” coach Mike London said. “That’s very, very important to us.”

Georgia Tech (4-3, 3-2 ACC) comes into Charlottesville off of a 56-0 win over Syracuse, which snapped a three-game losing streak of their own. Virginia (2-5, 0-3 ACC) is certainly cognizant of the performance the Yellow Jackets put on last week.

“[They] played a great game,” London said. “That offense has it rolling once again.”

The Yellow Jacket offense, one of the most prolific in college football, ranks fifth nationally in rushing yards and is in the top 30 in scoring. Georgia Tech is unique in its use of the triple option, making the Yellow Jackets dangerous in the running game.

“It’s really a totally different offense and a totally different game plan for us against them,” senior defensive end Jake Snyder said. “We have the scout team guys doing the best they can.”

The triple option, which is different from nearly every other offense in the nation, features dynamic, skilled players at all positions and the Virginia team has turned to unconventional means to prepare for it.

“You practice with a Nerf football,” London said. “You don’t have to worry about the snap … with the Nerf football, it can bounce all over the place, and even if the quarterback doesn’t have the Nerf, you still go through the mechanics of running the play.”

Sophomore Vad Lee, Georgia Tech’s dual threat quarterback, is both the team’s leading passer and second leading rusher. What sets him and the offense apart, in addition to its triple-option style, is their ability to manage the game and take up substantial time on offense.

“Georgia Tech is No. 2 in the country in hanging on to the ball, I believe almost 35 minutes [per game],” London said. “They do a great job on third downs, and they do a lot of things to keep the ball moving.”

Furthermore, Georgia Tech has increased its usage of a nearly nonexistent passing game, allowing Lee to showcase his ability and throw for twice as many touchdowns in seven weeks this season — eight — than all of last season — four.

“We still want to find ways to bring pressure and put pressure on the quarterback when they do pass,” Snyder said. “If all 11 guys are on the same page doing the right job, you should be able to stop them.”

An aspect of Georgia Tech’s team that is often overlooked, however, is the defense. The Yellow Jackets boast the third best scoring defense in the ACC, allowing just 19.2 points per game.

“Right now their defense is playing in lockstep with their offense,” London said. “They’re playing well enough to limit teams to points and doing a nice job on the rushing yards.”

Saturday’s game comes at a crucial point in the season. After Georgia Tech, Virginia takes on three ranked opponents — No. 9 Clemson, No. 7 Miami, and No. 14 Virginia Tech — in their last four games.

“I think if you ask our guys … the aspect of preparing and practicing to win is still as high as it’s ever been because of the opportunities and because of the teams we’re about to play,” London said. “We’re about to play some really good teams going down the stretch here.”

One of Virginia’s biggest problems throughout its four-game losing streak has been stringing together four consecutive quarters of strong play. In first halves this season, the Cavaliers are outscoring opponents by a slim margin, 89-87. However, in second halves, Virginia is getting blown out, 112-67.

“That’s the issue for us right now, sustaining that level [of intensity] for a long period of time.” London said, “It’s not just about two quarters or three and a half quarters.”

If there is an advantage for Virginia defensively, it will come from the team’s more experienced players. Playing against Georgia Tech every year has given them some insight into stopping the triple option, most notably in a 24-21 win against the then-No. 12 Yellow Jackets in 2011.

“I think that’s definitely the biggest thing, the experience of playing against a unique offense,” Snyder said, “The more guys you have that have faced this offense before, the better chance you have against it.”

History might favor the Cavaliers, despite them being 10-point underdogs. In 14 meetings at Scott Stadium, Virginia boasts a 10-3-1 record against the Yellow Jackets.The team is 45-41-2 all time on homecoming weekend.