Tight ends, running backs shine in passing game

London demands more production from wide receivers

Last season, junior tight end Jake McGee emerged as a star and fan favorite with acrobatic and game winning catches. As the season progressed, it became apparent that his production was imperative to Virginia’s success.

At the outset of the 2013 season, the Cavaliers hoped McGee’s steady production would continue as offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild implemented his new system and sophomore quarterback David Watford took the reigns as a first-year starter under center. To the delight of coach Mike London, McGee has been nothing short of excellent.

“I believe that when you go and you find who your best players are, our best playmakers are … that Jake would be one of those guys,” London said.

McGee, who leads Virginia with 31 receptions and two touchdowns, takes pride in his performance and the additional attention he has garnered from opposing defenses this season.

“This year, I’d say most of the teams at least have me on their scouting reports,” McGee said. “That’s something you want as an offensive player, to see the respect from the defense and to do enough to show them that either way, you’re going to be alright.”

Despite McGee’s success, however, Virginia’s passing game has faltered throughout the season, with Watford averaging just 191 yards in the air per game. The Cavaliers’ offensive troubles are due in part to the lack of production at the wide receiver position, which has accounted for just two of Virginia’s five receiving touchdowns and 582 of Virginia’s 1,383 receiving yards — a mere 42 percent.

“We’re looking for development from the receivers,” London said. “Receivers are there to catch the ball, to block and do other things that can help your offense, your overall offense. That is an area that we’ve got to continue to keep working on and improving.”

Virginia began the season with senior Tim Smith and junior Darius Jennings slated as starters at the wide receiver position. But after struggling to get open downfield and dropping several passes, Smith and Jennings both lost their starting jobs to redshirt freshman Kyle Dockins and freshman Keeon Johnson, respectively.

“They’re working hard,” McGee said. “I know it’s been tough for them too, with not as much production as they would like, but they’re working as hard as anyone to improve as much as possible, whether it’s one guy, or it’s group of guys out there to step up and do big things.”

The wide receivers’ lack of output has increasingly put the weight of the passing game on the shoulders of the tight ends and running backs. Junior tight end Zachary Swanson has become a reliable threat in the passing game, catching 14 passes for 139 yards, while junior running back Kevin Parks, Virginia’s leading rusher, also leads the Cavaliers with 270 receiving yards. London hopes to get freshman running back Taquan Mizzell more catches as well.

“We are getting production from a guy like Kevin Parks, who’s doing a nice job.” London said. “[We] had an opportunity to play Taquan Mizzell a little more, get more touches, and he was explosive there.”

Regardless of who else is on the field, London can at least take comfort in knowing he has one of the most dependable targets in the country in McGee.

“It’s no doubt that he has a very unique skill in catching the ball — two hands, one hand, over the shoulder, up high, whatever it is — and he does a great job of doing that,” London said. “But you’ll talk to Jake and you’ll see there’s an immense amount of pride that he takes in his performance and with his team, and I think … when he’s done playing here, he’ll be a very, very good player.”