UJC looks to find new drug abuse sanction requirements

Honor concludes first-year 'Lawn chats' at Sunday meetings

The Honor Committee and the University Judiciary Committee met Sunday to discuss upcoming outreach efforts and plans for the semester.

Third-year Law student Sam Brickfield, UJC vice chair for sanctions, said the Committee is looking for a new way for students with alcohol and drug abuse sanctions to fulfill sanction requirements.

Brickfield said students are no longer able to complete their sanction-required service with the Gordie Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, which was previously a popular resource for students because it allowed them to pair service work with abuse education. The committee would like to find an organization or program with similar merits.

UJC Chair Timothy Kimble, a fourth-year College student, said UJC is continuing to look for new ways to reach out to the community, as well as expand its presence in the broader University community.

“Coming from an educator background, my goal has always been to have UJC be a larger presence in the larger University community,” Kimble said.

Third-year Commerce student Brendan O’Hare, a UJC senior educator, said their first student information session was popular and went well, and they would be having additional sessions later this week.

Fourth-year Nursing student Caroline Eckert, UJC vice chair for first years, said more outreach programs would come later in the year as well, and UJC would be looking to work with first-year recruits to create a initiative for the new class.

The Honor Committee has similar outreach ambitions. Fourth-year Commerce student Joe Martin, the Committee’s vice chair for education, said the “Lawn chats” the Committee was having with first-year halls finished Sunday.

“Overall, we were able to reach around 500 to 1000 of the incoming students in a really small setting,” Martin said. “[That’s] something that we just haven’t been able to do before.”

The Committee also discussed small upcoming changes to certain action groups and the role of Investigation Coordinator. Additionally, third-year College student Martese Johnson, the vice chair for community relations, said details for the “Honor is Everywhere” program will be hashed out in the coming weeks in order to prepare the rollout of the effort.

Both Committees have a number of upcoming trials, with a UJC trial scheduled for Sept. 17 and Honor trials planned for Sept. 14, Sept. 28 and Oct. 5.