​Board of Visitors convenes special committee to address concerns about research funding

University's low U.S. News global ranking due to lagging research

<p>University Vice President for Research Tom Skalak (above) will report on the current state of U.Va. research funding at next week's Board of Visitor's meeting.</p>

University Vice President for Research Tom Skalak (above) will report on the current state of U.Va. research funding at next week's Board of Visitor's meeting.

The Board of Visitors recently convened a special committee on research for the first time in more than two years. The newly established committee will meet next Thursday to discuss the research funding at the University.

Jeffrey Blank, assistant vice president for research, said the focus of the committee’s first meeting will be background information on the sources of funding for research at the University.

“Our office will be providing some background material on research in the aggregate — total sponsored research at U.Va. — by school and by department,” Blank said. “It’s going to be a fairly in-depth background discussion.”

University spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said this data will help the committee develop long-term strategic plans for the University.

“Research plays an integral role in the life of the University,” de Bruyn said. “The baseline data will help provide the setting for the committee’s initial framing of the strategic and operational issues for enhancing the role of research in achieving U.Va.’s academic and service mission.”

According to a 2013-14 University Award Summary by School, funding provided to most schools decreased from the all-time high of research expenditures in 2012. The few exceptions to this downward trend included the Batten School, the Education School, and the Engineering School. Overall, University research funding decreased by 15 percent in 2013, placing expenditures below 2003 levels.

With federal funding leveled off, Blank said the University must diversify its portfolio to acquire the money necessary for research.

“We are aggressively moving toward identifying industry sponsorship,” Blank said. “We’re looking at private foundations and even philanthropy through private donations to help round out our research portfolio.”

Federal funding continues to be the most important source of research expenditures. In 2013, $250 million of the $330 million of total research expenditures were obtained from the federal government.

Stagnant federal funding has caused multiple American universities to decline in global rankings regarding research. In U.S. News & World Report’s new Global University Rankings list based on academic research and reputation, the University ranked only 102nd out of 500 total universities, despite its simultaneous ranking as the second-best national public university in the United States.

But the University’s position does not factor much of the humanities work done on Grounds. The ranking criteria excluded arts and humanities, despite the University’s high standing in law, English, Religious Studies, history and Spanish.

Nevertheless, the University aims to ensure its commitment to research continues to advance the school’s overarching goals.

“Research funding is an important element of supporting the academic enterprise and a reflection of faculty quality and competitiveness with other leading universities,” Board of Visitors member Helen Dragas said in an email. “Appointment of a special committee is a reflection that there is work to be done in this important area.”