Students praise Obama immigration act

Executive order to drastically cut back deportations

President Barack Obama issued an executive order Nov. 20 which will allow nearly 5 million undocumented immigrants to temporarily remain in the U.S. without fear of deportation. The executive order focuses enforcement resources on criminal immigrants rather than families, increases border security and holds undocumented immigrants more accountable through background checks and tax enforcement.

The plan protects many undocumented immigrants through expanded use of deferred action — temporary protection from deportation — by the Department of Homeland Security. The President will enhance the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program and create the new Deferred Action for Parental Accountability program, which allows parents of either U.S. citizens or long-term permanent residents to apply for a work permit and three years of protection from deportation.

“[The announcement] was great,” Latino Student Alliance President Nataly Luque said. “[LSA members] were really happy since a lot of us have family members who that affects, or know someone.”

Immigrants granted temporary legal status can now apply for official U.S. documents like driver licenses. Luque, a fourth-year Engineering student, said such opportunities would help the Charlottesville undocumented population become better integrated into society.

“People are going to be able to come out of the shade of hiding,” Luque said. “It’s especially great for high school students who are actually going to be able to apply for college. Once you’re recognized as a [legal permanent resident,] you’re not as afraid to apply for things like financial aid.”

Executive orders stand as law unless Congress of the Supreme Court specifically intervenes. Even a bill from Congress blocking the action could be overturned by the President, requiring a supermajority to fully enact.

In announcing the executive action, Obama touted the benefits it would bring to undocumented families across the country.

“Undocumented immigrants who desperately want to embrace those responsibilities [of living in America] see little option but to remain in the shadows, or risk their families being torn apart,” Obama said.

According to the University website, students are not eligible to apply for financial aid if they are international or foreign students or if they are neither a U.S. Citizen nor an Eligible Non-Citizen — meaning they do not have a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, both of which require prior standing as a legal resident.

The International Rescue Committee, which has a branch in downtown Charlottesville, aids U.S. refugees through the immigration process legally, economically and socially. In a press release, the IRC affirmed support for Obama’s plan, noting the potential to enrich and strengthen the community.

“Temporary status will allow immigrants to … improve their job and educational prospects, and lower their risks of experiencing labor exploitation and other forms of abuse,” the release said. “Status for immigrants will also facilitate their deeper civic and community engagement. All of these things make our communities stronger and safer, and enrich our social and cultural life.”

However, the IRC also said Obama’s announcement alone is not enough to solve the issues surrounding immigration.

“The U.S. needs comprehensive immigration reform, including pathways to citizenship for those already here and more legal migration opportunities for future generations of immigrants,” the release said. “The IRC calls upon the 114th Congress to work together to pass comprehensive immigration legislation, built on a foundation of compassion, fairness and common sense.”

Luque said she feels the temporary nature of Obama’s plan could be its biggest downfall. The plan does not apply to recent cases or future immigrants, nor does it confer citizenship or the permanent right to stay in the United States to those affected. The plan, in effect, delays the deportation of families and individuals without criminal background for three years.

She said she would like for Congress to pass more permanent legislation to address immigration.