​Governor McAuliffe admitted to VCU Medical Center after fall

Injuries sustained after McAuliffe thrown from horse

Gov. Terry McAuliffe was hospitalized at the VCU Medical Center in Richmond Monday following injuries he sustained after being thrown from a horse while on safari with his family in Tanzania during the holidays.

McAuliffe broke seven ribs from the fall, but spokesperson Brian Coy said in a statement the “injury did not impair his ability to do his job and his doctors expected the injury to heal on its own.”

The governor resumed working upon his return from Africa — delivering the State of the Commonwealth address last week, appearing at a Sunday fundraiser for wounded Richmond police officer William Turner and speaking at Community Leaders Breakfast in Norfolk commemorating Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Following the Community Leaders Breakfast, McAuliffe travelled to VCU Medical Center where doctors found increased fluid in his lungs and admitted him to undergo a drainage procedure, according to Coy’s statement.

First Lady Dorothy McAuliffe released a statement Monday saying the procedure went well.

“My husband is resting comfortably after a successful procedure this afternoon,” she said. “He and I want to thank the outstanding medical team at VCU Medical Center who just informed us that he is expected to recover well and get back to his full schedule within the next few days.”

McAuliffe himself also tweeted his gratitude for the well wishes he received and expressed his eagerness to get back to work.

According to an NBC 12 article, McAuliffe’s office does not anticipate the Chief of Staff having to take over any of the governor's duties while he recovers.