Phillip Parrish named interim vice president for research

Skalak will step down Feb. 1

The University announced the appointment of Phillip Parrish as the interim vice president for research Jan. 14. Currently the associate vice president for research, Parrish will assume the position Feb. 1, when current Vice President for Research Thomas Skalak steps down.

“We are pleased that Phil has agreed to accept this important leadership role at the University,” University President Teresa Sullivan said in a press release. “His extensive knowledge of our research portfolio and his relationships with industry partners will serve the institution well as we continue to develop our research and economic development efforts at the University.”

The Office of the Vice President for Research is responsible for the integration and enhancement of research activities across the University’s 11 schools and multiple research centers.

As interim VPR, Parrish will be responsible for continuing the growth of the University’s broad research portfolio, supporting innovation activities and providing services to University researchers. Parrish, who also works as a principal scientist in the Engineering School’s Department of Material Sciences and Engineering, said he looks forward to his new role.

“I look forward to working in conjunction with schools and faculty from across Grounds and the outstanding staff in VPR to achieve new interdisciplinary, multi-school research initiatives, which distinguish U.Va.,” he said.

Since entering the role in 2002, Parrish has been involved in a number of University initiatives, including the development of the Center for Automata Processing, according to a University press release.

Sullivan said the University is developing its plan to conduct a national search for a permanent vice president for research.

Parrish said he has not yet considered whether he will apply for the position permanently.

“I have not yet thought about whether I will apply,” Parrish said. “I am pleased to serve as interim VPR for now.”