Ronald Hutchins announced as next Vice President of Information Technology

Hutchins will assume position coming August

Ron Hutchins
Ron Hutchins

The University announced Thursday the selection of Ronald Hutchins as the next Vice President of Information Technology. Hutchins, who has been at the Georgia Institute of Technology for 34 years and is currently the chief technology officer, will assume the new position in August.

Archie Holmes, chair of the search committee, said one of Hutchins’ main focuses as VP will be examining ways in which technology can be implemented to support the University’s strategic mission.

“Information Technology is really pervasive at the University…There’s not much of what we do that doesn’t have technology involved with it,” Holmes said. “[We are] looking at someone who’s going to help provide strategic leadership on how the University uses IT for its strategic mission.”

In looking for a candidate, Holmes said the search committee — which has been working since last February and considered professionals from many institutions — sought someone who could be an inclusive leader.

“We were looking for somebody who’d be in a position to be able to help lead those discussions between the various stakeholders,” Holmes said. “We think he will be really good at having those collaborative conversations.”

Among the questions Hutchins will need to address, Holmes said, will be how to best use new technology in research and academics.

“Certainly there will be discussions around how do we continue to build the research computing infrastructure here at the University,” Holmes said. “And what is the appropriate role of technology in education.”

Hutchins will function in a relatively new IT model at the University, one established after a review committee determined that splitting IT leadership into two areas would be in the best interests of the University. Hutchins will oversee IT development and implementation in support of the strategic plan and work closely with Chief Information Officer Virginia H. Evans who focuses more closely on operations.

In order to understand how to best implement technology in support of the strategic mission, Hutchins said he will engage the University community in discussions addressing prevalent issues and ways technology may help in solving some of these problems.

“The skills I will use most…are listening skills,” Hutchins said. “[Understanding how to best implement technology] requires lots of listening to different constituencies…staff, students, alumni, the Board of Visitors.”

Hutchins said he will actively seek out ways in which technology can facilitate and bring to life the University’s goals.

“[The University was] looking for vision in technology, not just technology itself,” Hutchins said. “It’s easy to let technology be the driver. Technology itself is just a means to an end; it’s not an end.”

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Ronald Hutchins as Ronald Holmes in the headline.