Women's basketball hangs on against Clemson

The Virginia women’s basketball team managed to hold its opponent to poor shooting down the stretch in order to win its second conference road game of the season, 77-72, against Clemson on Sunday afternoon.

In the game, the Cavaliers (15-7, 5-4 ACC) were outrebounded 45-34, allowing the Tigers (9-13, 1-8 ACC) to score 21 second chance points to the Cavaliers’ 12. But for the first time in five games, the Cavaliers were not outscored in the paint, with both the Tigers and Cavaliers scoring 24 points.

Clemson only led for a total of 3:54 minutes in the game, with the majority of that lead coming in the first five minutes. The Tigers were within two at the 13:26 mark after a three-pointer by sophomore guard Tiffany Lewis, but Lewis’s team would not make another shot until almost six minutes later at the 6:32 mark. During that span, the Cavaliers extended their lead to 31-16 as the Tigers’ only three points came from the free-throw line.

The Cavaliers held a 47-32 advantage at the break after Clemson’s offensive lull in the first half, but had scoring droughts in the second half. The Cavaliers made nine of their total 14 three-pointers and shot 62.1 percent from the field before the break but came out cold in the second half. The Cavaliers missed 16 of their first 21 shots, allowing Clemson to slowly trim down the lead and eventually take the lead. With the score at 68-67 in favor of Clemson in the game’s final four minutes, the two teams traded jumpers before Clemson missed its last six shots and closed out the game.

Lewis led her team with 19 points, as three Virginia players scored a team-high 15 points — sophomore guard Breyana Mason, freshman forward Lauren Moses and senior center Sarah Imovbioh. It was the first career double-double for Moses.

The Cavaliers will face No. 4 Notre Dame on Thursday.

—Compiled by Chanhong Luu