Men's lacrosse falls against Duke, 15-8

The Virginia men’s lacrosse team (8-4, 0-4 ACC) dropped its seventh straight game against Duke (8-4, 1-3 ACC) Sunday, 15-8. The Cavaliers have now lost 15 of the last 16 games against their conference rival.

After Duke scored 32 seconds in, Virginia rallied off two straight goals by senior midfielder Tyler German and junior midfielder Greg Coholan, respectively, to take a 2-1 advantage with 6:44 to play in the first quarter.

But the Cavalier lead lasted only until the 2:05 mark in the opening quarter when Duke tied the contest at two. From there, the Blue Devils never looked back.

Duke’s second strike was the first of a four-goal run that stretched into the second quarter. Coholan scored Virginia’s lone second quarter goal, as the Cavaliers trailed 7-3 at halftime.

Virginia opened the third quarter on a quick 2-1 run to cut the Blue Devil lead to three, but just as it did in the first half, Duke squashed the Cavaliers’ comeback attempt by netting the next five goals.

The Cavaliers committed 17 turnovers, including nine in the second quarter, and were outshot, 51-36. Duke picked up 18 more ground balls than Virginia.

Sophomore midfielder Jack Bruckner led Duke in scoring with seven goals. Virginia sophomore goalie Matt Barrett recorded 17 saves.

The Cavaliers will miss the ACC tournament for the second consecutive year, instead playing Pennsylvania April 25 in a showcase game.

Virginia will conclude the regular season at home against Georgetown Sunday on senior day. Opening faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.