ABC agents involved in Martese Johnson arrest cleared of wrongdoing

Agency says investigation details, report not to be released

The three Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control agents involved in the arrest of fourth-year Engineering student Martese Johnson were cleared of all wrongdoing and returned to active duty Monday.

Johnson sustained serious injuries during an arrest outside of Trinity Irish Pub in the early hours of March 18. Following the incident — which sparked several organized protests in the community — Gov. Terry McAuliffe ordered the Virginia State Police to conduct a thorough investigation of the incident and the agents involved were placed on administrative leave for the duration of the investigation.

“After thoroughly reviewing the incident and the report, Virginia ABC concluded that the agents did not violate agency policy and returned these special agents to active duty today,” a Virginia ABC statement said, released Monday.

An open records request for the review by The Cavalier Daily was denied by Virginia State Police, who say they aren't required to release the review under state law.