Class of 2019 hails from 76 different countries

International students comprise approximately 5 percent of first-year class

This year’s incoming first year class showed an increase in the number of international students — 196 in total — compared to the population of international students who entered in the Class of 2018.

The percentage remains below that of the Class of 2017, however.

University statistics reported over 5 percent of the Class of 2019 hails from 76 foreign countries, making the international student population 1.2 percent higher than the Class of 2018.

The increase in attendance by international students also illustrates the growth in the total number of students that make up the incoming first-year classes.

Jeffrey Legro, vice provost for global affairs, said the number of international students is helping to strengthen the University’s global community.

“We know U.Va. students are going to lead global lives, so its great to have international students to educate them on the views of others from around the world,” Legro said.

International students enrich the University environment, Dean of Admission Gregory Roberts said.

“It introduces students to other cultures and a more global perspective on life,” Roberts said

The amount of international students enrolling in U.S. institutions has increased over the past six years, with a 7.5 percent increase between 2012 and 2013, the Institute of International Education said in a press release.

The top countries of origin for international students at the University are China, India and Korea — which is also representative of the top places of origin for all international students in the U.S.

Nevertheless, the percentage of international students in the first-year class has decreased in comparison to the total of international students in the Class of 2017, which is 6 percent.

The University works to increase the number of international students through recruiting trips, social media, current international students and alumni, Roberts said.

In spring 2014, international students comprised 8.7 percent of students enrolled in the College, a decrease from Spring 2013.

In 2013, international students made up nine percent of College students, according to the International Studies Office.

Figures from the ISO also show miniscule decreases in the enrollment of international students in the Architecture School and the Commerce School between 2013 and 2014.