University, Charlottesville community hold memorial for Julian Bond

Attendees set flowers afloat on Rivanna River to honor civil rights leader

Members of the University and Charlottesville communities came together Saturday afternoon to honor the life of former History Prof. Julian Bond, who passed away Aug. 15. 

Bond was chairman of the NAACP, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center and a prominent leader in the civil rights movement.

Community members gathered at Darden Towe Park to reflect together on Bond’s life, accomplishments and contributions to his community. Attendees gathered at the Rivanna River and released flowers, some of which were provided by event organizers, though other participants brought their own. The event was organized by the University’s Office for Diversity and Equity and the Carter G. Woodson Institute for African-American and African Studies.

Similar ceremonies of remembrance were held at the same time around the country. Participants were asked to post pictures of the flower releases on social media using the hashtag #HonorJulianBond.

An obituary posted on McLaughlin Mortuary by friends of Bond said those who wished to honor Bond’s legacy are welcome to donate to a professorship opened in his name in the College.

“Please consider making a donation to the University of Virginia College and Graduate School of Arts and Science ‘Julian Bond Professorship of Civil Rights and Social Justice,’” the obituary read. “Your donation will honor his legacy and advance teaching and scholarship of the civil rights era for future generations of students.”