The 16 things we should do this fall

Narrowing down the University’s list of 116 things

Completing the “116 Things To Do Before You Graduate” list is a daunting task. Recently, my friends and I headed to the Lawn to pick up our copies of the infamous fourth-year checklist, feeling like it was a rite of passage. But as I looked over the number of things I had yet to do, I wasn’t even sure where to begin. From cheering on the baseball team to visiting a Pavilion resident, the list went on and on. I started feeling defeated, knowing I would never be able to do everything. So here is a shorter, perhaps more doable, list of fun things you should check out this semester. Because, let’s be honest, looking more than three months ahead is frightening for all of us.

1. Streak the Lawn: Yes, yes and yes. This should never be checked off. Keep on streaking, because when else in life will you be able to run naked without being arrested?

2. Stay to the end of a football game: In high school, you were expected to stay to the end of football games, win or lose. But at Virginia games, it feels like no one wants to stay for more than a quarter. Just once, stay until the end. Who knows, by a stroke of luck, you may end up storming the field.

3. Go to First Fridays: I sadly waited until fourth year to enjoy First Fridays. Don’t let it slip by because The Fralin is awesome. There’s some really sweet art, as well as free wine and seven-layer dip — if you can fight off the swarms of people.

4. Check out books from the library: Somehow I did this for the first time last week, and in the nerdiest way, it was awesome. You feel smart, empowered and resourceful all at the same time.

5. Walk to the farmer’s market: This was the first “Charlottesville-y” thing I did first year, and it made me so happy to live in such a cool city. If you can get yourself out of bed, this is a must — fresh flowers and delicious food galore.

6. Thursday Night Sunset Series at Carter’s Mountain: The last one of the year is this Thursday — don’t miss it. There’s live music, food, wine and an incredible view of the sunset.

7. Attend the Tom Tom Fall Block Party: At the IX Art park this Friday and Saturday, you can go check out live music, public art and Charlottesville food trucks. Also, they are hosting a huge flea market and a craft beer garden.

8. Visit Bold Rock: Not only is Bold Rock gluten-free friendly, but it’s also a fun and beautiful location to mix up your brewery visits. Bold Rock has a variety of ciders, from green apple to pear, and their brewery is nestled in the mountains of Nellysford, Virginia.

9. Follow UVA 2016 on Facebook and Snapchat: The accounts post many discounts and free deals. While they might not be as gluten-free friendly, there have been a lot of free pizzas.

10. Make a home-cooked meal with your roommates: This is one of those things we say we’ll do at the beginning of the year, but then we rarely follow through on it. It’s no fun making meals just for yourself, and it’s true that friends who cook together stay together.

11. Get a drink at C & O: I discovered this gem last spring. Getting dinner at The C & O is usually only an option with parents, but the basement of C & O has an awesome bar that feels like a cozy western saloon. Be sure to grab a drink next time you’re on the Downtown Mall.

12. Dress up for Trick-or-Treat on the Lawn: Maybe you can even pass as a little kid and nab some candy.

13. Make an appointment with University Career Services: I know, no one wants to talk about jobs, but UCS is a godsend. They are very helpful, and appointments are free. Take advantage while you can and get some tips from professional career counselors.

14. Tailgate a Polo game: If you didn’t know, Virginia has an awesome polo team and it’s super fun to watch. Sometime this the fall, head out to the polo fields to watch a match, and be sure to bring snacks and wine!

15. Stop by a show at The Garage: The Garage is one of my favorite Charlottesville discoveries. It’s a small music venue by the Downtown Mall, which showcases up-and-coming bands. They hold shows throughout the warmer months, it’s free and the music is always wonderful.

16. Go wine tasting: Last, but certainly not least, Charlottesville vineyards are uniquely awesome so enjoy them while you can. King Family Vineyards hosts wine tasting and polo on Sundays. Also, Donald Trump and Dave Matthews both have wineries, which is certainly something to look into.

Peyton’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at p.williams@cavalierdaily.com.