Memorial held at U.Va. for Margaret Lowe

Friends, family gather to remember, celebrate life

<p>University Dean of Students Allen Groves was one of the speakers at the memorial for Margaret.</p>

University Dean of Students Allen Groves was one of the speakers at the memorial for Margaret.

A group of about 450 gathered at Old Cabell Hall Saturday morning for a service in memory of fourth-year College student Margaret Lowe.

Lowe passed away Sept. 1 after suffering a brain hemorrhage while running.

The crowd included Lowe’s friends, classmates, faculty and others. Students who knew Lowe — through clubs, Pi Beta Phi sorority and Camp Kesem, where she spent her summers as a counselor — took the stage to tell stories about her positive impact on their lives.

Classics Prof. John Dillery, with whom Lowe worked closely, spoke to her character and personality, along with Dean of Students Allen Groves and Lowe’s mother.

The event also drew many who did not know Lowe personally. Anne Strine, whose two daughters attended Camp Kesem with Lowe, said she was thankful for her.

“I am so grateful for the impact she had on my two daughters’ lives,” Strine said. “They felt really called to come and celebrate…Margaret’s contributions to their lives.”

The service included a display of personal items, including t-shirts from organizations Lowe was involved with, and a scattering of sunflowers, her favorite flower.

Second-year College student Erik Roberts, who helped plan the memorial, said keeping it personal was part of the vision for the service.

“The most important thought was [that] this had to come from her friends,” Roberts said.

Third-year College student Adam Willis said he found the service beautiful, moving and powerful.

“It struck a good balance between commemorating her life and celebrating it,” Willis said. He said he felt just “how many people and how many different areas of the University she’s touched.”