Four foreign films to watch on Netflix

Because we know you’ve finished all 10 seasons of “Friends” by now

While watching a foreign film can seem daunting at first (subtitles, anyone?), viewers are truly missing out on another level of cinematic experience by limiting themselves to Hollywood byproducts. Here is a short list of recommendations that are available on Netflix and are sure to satisfy every type of movie lover.

If you like comedies: “Amélie” (France)

This low-budget French rom-com took the film world by storm in 2001, when it was nominated for a whopping five Academy Awards. The movie revolves around an eccentric do-gooder named Amélie, whose quest to make others happy sometimes gets in the way of her own enjoyment of life. Fans of the show “New Girl” will see the parallels between characters Jess Day and Amélie especially quickly in both their quirky habits and comedic timing.

If you like horror films: “Let the Right One In” (Sweden)

Bullied 12-year-old Oskar believes he has finally found a friend in his beautiful new neighbor, Eli, until he discovers she’s also a vampire. But when that fact doesn’t scare him off, he’s sucked into her macabre world where a young romance ironically begins to bloom from the blood-and-guts atmosphere. Skeptics of the obvious “Twilight” comparisons shouldn’t be worried; however, there are more dead bodies in the first 20 minutes of this film than in all five “Twilight” movies combined.

If you like documentaries: “This Is Not a Film” (Iran)

Technically, “This Is Not a Film” should not have been made — back in 2010 the Iranian government banned director, producer and star Jafar Panahi from film production for 20 years. Shot partially on an iPhone and smuggled out of Iran via USB drive, “This Is Not a Film” is a heartbreaking plea from Panahi about the savagery of censorship occurring around the world, and it will certainly leave you with a newfound gratitude for your unlimited access to Netflix.

If you like food: “Jiro Dreams of Sushi” (Japan)

Even if you hate all movies, the impeccable food-art in this 2011 documentary will make you fall in love with “Jiro” and subsequently run to the nearest Sakura. Jiro Ono is the owner of a 10-seat sushi restaurant, where his attention to oddities — such as placemat formation and how long an octopus was massaged before he chops it up — has earned him the title of greatest sushi chef in Japan. However, Jiro never seems to be satisfied with what others consider perfection, and his determination to always be better will, in turn, inspire you to pursue your own goals.