Nearly 3,000 U.Va. alumni currently school employees

University graduates represent 12 percent of faculty, staff

<p>Over 2,600 alumni work as faculty or staff at the University, Alumni Association President C. Thomas Faulders, III said.</p>

Over 2,600 alumni work as faculty or staff at the University, Alumni Association President C. Thomas Faulders, III said.

Nearly 3,000 University alumni are employed as faculty or administrators, or are working in the Health System, according to a directory compiled by the Alumni Association.

“Our records show that over 2,600 alumni work as faculty or staff here,” Alumni Association President Tom Faulders said. “This represents about 12 percent of the 12,090 of faculty and staff in the academic division and 9,473 faculty, nurses and full-time employees in the Health Systems.”

Emily Bardeen, director of alumni career services at the Alumni Association, said the Alumni Association only maintains records of alumni who report to them.

Many alumni are prominent on Grounds. Politics Prof. Larry Sabato, founder and director of the University’s Center for Politics, has spent almost his entire career in Charlottesville. He received an undergraduate degree in government from the College in 1974 and later attended graduate school at Princeton and Oxford. He then returned to the University.

“I loved Charlottesville and the University, and so it was a very easy and happy transition,” Sabato said. “Obviously, after 45 years of association with U.Va, I have made it my lifetime home.”

Sabato said his experience at the University affects his view of it as a faculty member.

“Since I have a long history here, I know a great deal about the University and its formal and informal traditions,” he said. “I also have a pretty good idea of where we fall short and need to improve.”

Sabato noted how much the University changed during his time as an undergraduate student, especially with respect to the inclusion of women and the abolition of the “coat and tie” tradition in classes. Students at the University today are part of a more competitive environment than formerly, he said.

“I am absolutely amazed when I survey the abilities and experiences of even first year students,” Sabato said. ”It is impossible to be a college teacher at a place like U.Va. and not be optimistic about the future.”