Honor Committee will hold popular assembly Oct. 26

Groups to discuss multi-sanction system, other pertinent issues

<p>The second part of the 2015-16 committee’s was a discussion of the “hearing audit.” The purpose was to “evaluate the current state of hearings, in order to ensure that they are operating in a fair and efficient way,” according to the Policies and Procedures Sub-committee report</p>

The second part of the 2015-16 committee’s was a discussion of the “hearing audit.” The purpose was to “evaluate the current state of hearings, in order to ensure that they are operating in a fair and efficient way,” according to the Policies and Procedures Sub-committee report

The Honor Committee will be hold a popular assembly Oct. 26 asking for the student body’s opinion on a potential multi-sanction system.

The reasons for the popular assembly are the referenda that were voted on by students last year, said Committee Chair Faith Lyons, a fourth-year Commerce student, said. In addition to a multi-sanction system, the assembly will likely also include assessments of faculty engagement and the benefits of honor.

Lyons said the goal is for students to feel as if they have the opportunity to engage with the Honor Committee.

“We’ve been trying really hard this year to break that divide of the committee existing on the fourth floor of Newcomb and students not feeling as if that’s a place they can go,” Lyons said.

Following low voter turnout in elections last spring, Lyons said she hopes to gauge student opinion on the multi-sanction system. Only 18 percent of the student body voted on whether or not to consider a multi-sanction system, and it only passed by 51 percent.

“We’re trying as hard as we can to get the feedback, and we’re going to give students as many chances as possible to share feedback,” Lyons said.

The event will begin with Honor Committee members speaking for a short time on honor-related topics. Students will then be put into discussion groups with a moderator who is knowledgeable about the honor system.

The event will end with a short survey, which will provide the Committee with tangible feedback.

Students should attend the event because it is an important discussion about the sanctions involved in the system at the University, Lyons said.

“We want student input up front so they can be educated before the vote in February,” Lyons said.

Read this article translated into Chinese here