“Ball of Confusion” brings chaos

The Center for Politics documentary lays bare difficulties of the 1968 Presidential Election

Politics Prof. Larry Sabato recently hosted a special advanced screening of the Center for Politics’ new documentary “Ball of Confusion,” chronicling the chaotic 1968 presidential election. The screening was the first event in University President Teresa Sullivan’s “Things Every Voter Should Know” series meant to educate students before Election Day.

In the film, the election is set against the backdrop of a seemingly hopeless Vietnam War, riots and unrest at home and the assassinations of public heroes like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy. The key players in this chaotic and intense three-way race are laid out quickly: Nixon as the returning establishment favorite, Humphrey as the happy warrior in a dark time and Wallace as the X-Factor populist pandering to segregationists while threatening to throw the election to the House of Representatives.

“The year 1968 was one of the worst America has endured in the modern era,” Sabato said. “As I like to say, if you lived through it, you can never forget it, even if you want to.”

The documentary covers the main beats of the election swiftly while giving great thematic emphasis to its recurring themes. Nixon’s political revival is shown to be the work of a shrewd and competent Republican. Humphrey — a lifelong liberal crusader — is depicted as a candidate whose demeanor feels incredibly at odds with the chaos surrounding him. His hesitation to reveal his opposition to Johnson’s Vietnam policies until late in the race is strategically built up as a source of tension. The chaos of the Chicago Democratic Convention — both the riots outside and thuggish behavior on the inside — are depicted powerfully. The documentary depicts the ups and downs on all sides of the race and its photofinish very well.

The documentary also touches on the ethically dubious and abusive practices of officials at the time. Nixon wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty, as shown in his possibly treasonous interference with Vietnam peace talks before the election. However, the documentary does not hesitate to point out that the only way Johnson found out was by wire-tapping Nixon — a shocking episode in a tumultuous election.

After the screening, Sabato hosted a short Q&A with geologist Edward Nixon, brother of former President Richard Nixon. The two discussed Richard’s influence on his brother — they are 17 years apart in age — and how the non-political Ed would sometimes intersect with his brother’s political ascent. Both “Ball of Confusion” and the event were great insights into the life of an individual most people simply regard as just “Richard Nixon’s brother.”

Correction: An earlier version of the article stated that Prof. Larry Sabato is a professor in the Economics department. Prof. Sabato is a professor in the Politics department.