Is a tattoo for you?

How to decide whether or not to get a tattoo

It has been six weeks — six weeks of aftercare and maintenance, six weeks since I got my first tattoo. I was surprised how much preparation went into getting a tattoo — mental preparation, at least. Before signing the papers, one has to decide whether or not a tattoo is for you, where you will get it and, finally, what it will be. Answer these three questions before making a decision.

1. Is a tattoo for you?

Obviously, this is the first thing one must decide. At some point in your life, you have most likely been asked what you would get tattooed on your body. This is meant as a hypothetical question, however, there comes a point where it may no longer seem so hypothetical. It took me four years of internal debate to decide I definitely wanted a tattoo. The idea of permanently marking yourself is daunting, and I didn’t want to be left with any regrets.

2. Where will you get it?

If you decide to get a tattoo, the next step is deciding where it will go. Of course, this can also be dependent upon what you want to get and where it would look best. It may also be strategic, depending on how visible you want the image to be. Some people, like me, choose their back, which is easy to hide with clothing. Others wish to make their tattoos as visible as possible to show them off. This decision is affected by many different factors, such workplace standards and personal preference.

I was initially nervous about getting a tattoo as a U.Va. student because I don’t often see other students sporting them. Yes, there are some students with tattoos, however, I believe the U.Va. culture isn’t inclined towards them. This, of course, is based solely on my experiences and it is entirely possible others feel differently. Nevertheless, my solution was to find a location where I could cover it up easily with clothing or my hair. I can show it off when the mood strikes me and hide it during conservative functions or job interviews.

3. What will your tattoo be?

This is the most important decision and the one people often spend the most time agonizing over. According to most, you’re supposed to spend at least two years certain of what you want in order to avoid regrets. I, of course, kept an image of my tattoo in my mind for a year and then changed it at the last second — as in, two days before my appointment. I was lucky in that I didn’t regret it for a second.

The tattoo I ended up getting was one I had been thinking over for a long time — a Lord of the Rings themed tattoo. However, I was worried it would be too “nerdy” and feared judgment. Because of this, I almost made the mistake of getting a tattoo I didn’t really love. I changed my mind at the last second because I realized the tattoo is for me and nobody else. It doesn’t matter if my friends or family hate it, as long as I don’t.

In the end, a tattoo of the Tree of Gondor, which took me five years of mental preparation, was finished in 45 minutes. I’m happy with it, and I get a renewed sense of contentment with the tattoo every time I see it in the mirror. Yes, there are those who find it too nerdy for words, but I don’t care because it’s what I wanted and I went in knowing it only had to please me. Though not for everyone, getting a tattoo was worth every agonizing second of debate.

Abigail’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at a.lague@cavalierdaily.com.