Students vote in November general elections

Seats for City Council, State House, Senate on ballot

<p>Students and community members gathered at locations both on and off-Grounds to vote in the local and state elections Tuesday.</p>

Students and community members gathered at locations both on and off-Grounds to vote in the local and state elections Tuesday.

Residents of Charlottesville and its surrounding regions headed out to vote Tuesday for municipal seats as well as state House and Senate seats in the November general elections.

In Charlottesville votes were cast to fill three seats on the City Council, while in Albemarle County votes were cast for supervisor, clerk of court, commonwealth’s attorney, sheriff and the School Board.

“State and local elections often take a back seat to national elections because they don't have the glamour of a Presidential or national election,” Jay Boyd, a fourth-year College student and chair of College Republicans, said in an email statement

However, these elections are important because they directly affect University students more than any other election could, Boyd said.

“These individuals are the ones who, in the case of Commonwealth’s Attorney, prosecute people like Jesse Matthew,” Boyd said. “With regards to the State Senate and House of Delegates, they directly legislate our state. Congress in DC sets national law, and the legislature here sets the law for us in Virginia specifically.”

Sam Tobin, a third-year College student and the vice president of University Democrats, also emphasized the importance of local elections in an email statement.

“Elections at the state and local level sometimes have the ability to impact your everyday life even more than the national elections because they are closer to you, making decisions for your area,” Tobin said. “It’s a shame that these elections are underappreciated.”

Two state House seats and one Senate seat in Central Virginia were contested.

The candidates for the 17th Senate District were Republican incumbent Bryce Reeves and Democrat Ned Gallaway. Republican incumbent Richard P. “Dickie” Bell and Libertarian Will Hammer were the candidates on the ballot for the 20th House District, and Republican incumbent R. Steven Landes and Democrat Angela Lynn were those for the 25th House District seat.

From the seats in the Albemarle School Board to seats in the state Senate, Boyd said there is a lot at stake for Virginia.

“The House of Delegates is overwhelmingly Republican currently, so the Democrats almost have no chance of capturing it this year,” Boyd said. “The State Senate, however, is a different story. The Republicans currently hold a 21-19 majority. If the Republicans lose one seat [with no gains] to the Democrats, then they lose hold of the Senate.”

Ballots in surrounding counties also featured candidates for positions for boards of supervisors and school boards, as well as the state House and Senate races.

“Issues that matter to U.Va students are being decided on,” Tobin said. “They should know what is going on in Charlottesville because they are as much inhabitants of Charlottesville as people who live here year-round.”

*R=Republican, D=Democratic, L=Libertarian, I=Independent

Graphic by Nikita Meka and Callie Phillips

Republican Anson Parker, independent Alvin Scott Bandy and Democrats Wes Bellamy, Michael Signer and incumbent Kathy Galvin were all candidates for Charlottesville’s open seats on the City Council.

Republican Franklin Micciche, Democrat Jon Zug and independent candidates George Foresman and incumbent Debra Shipp were all contestants on the ballot for Albemarle clerk of court.

The candidates running for Albemarle Commonwealth’s Attorney were Republican Robert Tracci and Democrat incumbent Denise Lunsford.

Republican J.E. “Chip” Harding ran unopposed for re-election as Albemarle sheriff.

Voters in the City of Charlottesville casted their votes for four open seats on the School Board. Adam Hastings, Sherry Kraft and incumbents Amy Laufer and Jennifer McKeever were on the ballot.