U.Va. Dance Marathon holds fundraiser at Impeccable Pig

Groups hopes to raise $100,000 by academic year end

<p>The women’s clothing and accessories retailer donated 20 percent of its sales between 6 and 8pm to Dance Marathon. This “percentage night” is one of several fundraising events that the group holds throughout the year.</p>

The women’s clothing and accessories retailer donated 20 percent of its sales between 6 and 8pm to Dance Marathon. This “percentage night” is one of several fundraising events that the group holds throughout the year.

The University’s Dance Marathon group hosted a fundraiser on Friday at the Impeccable Pig boutique on the Downtown Mall.

The women’s clothing and accessories retailer donated 20 percent of its sales between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. to Dance Marathon. This “percentage night” is one of several fundraising events that the group holds throughout the year.

The Impeccable Pig event is relatively recent addition to the list of businesses that work with Dance Marathon, co-chair Katherine Kamis said.

“A member of our executive committee just went into the store and asked if they do any benefit events,” the fourth-year Engineering student said.

After learning that the store hosted three to four benefits each month, the group decided to host one there. While the exact amount has not yet been calculated, Kamis said that the group raised more than $200 from the event.

The 57-member student organization is part of the national Children’s Miracle Network group, which supports children’s health and research. All funds raised by Dance Marathon go to the University’s Children’s Hospital, and the group expects strong growth this year based on previous years’ successes.

“[The group] has been growing since the beginning,” Kamis said. “[Especially] in the past four years.”

With plans for a fundraiser at Panera Bread next month — among others — Kamis said the goal is to raise $100,000 before the end of the academic year. Over the past five years, the group has raised close to $250,000 for the children’s hospital, with $68,000 raised last year.

Dance Marathon’s premier showcase is to be hosted in the Amphitheater on April 2, and will consist of a 12-hour medley of events. Participants, who are called “dancers,” fundraise in the months leading up to the event to augment funds raised at events like Friday evening’s.