Second-half surge breaks two-game losing streak

<p>Senior Mike Tobey scored 16 points off the bench</p>

Senior Mike Tobey scored 16 points off the bench

No. 13 Virginia shot 61.1 percent from the floor in the second half to pull away from eighth-ranked Miami in a 66-58 victory Tuesday night at John Paul Jones Arena. The victory pulls the Cavaliers (13-3, 2-2 ACC) back to .500 in conference action.

After struggling for two games on the road, Virginia’s defense tightened up against the Hurricanes (13-2, 2-1 ACC). Coach Jim Larrañaga’s team finished the game firing 42 percent from the floor.

After Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech combined to go 17-for-32 from deep over the recent two-game losing streak the Cavaliers were stingier on the perimeter and held Miami to a 6-for-22 three-point shooting performance.

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon broke out of a recent funk to score 20 points on 7-of-15 shooting. Brogdon made all five of his free throws and chipped in two rebounds and two assists.

Senior center Mike Tobey led the Cavaliers from the bench with 12 points and seven rebounds in only 18 minutes. Also coming off the bench was sophomore guard Darius Thompson, who scored four points and showcased his athleticism with another alley-oop dunk.

Senior guard Angel Rodriguez led the Hurricanes with 17 points and three assists. Virginia’s frontcourt limited senior center Tonye Jekiri to only five points in 31 minutes on the court.

Virginia’s offense converted over half of its shots and 12 of the team’s 24 field goals were assisted. The Cavaliers committed 11 turnovers and outscored Miami 34-22 in the paint.

Junior point guard London Perrantes overcame a scoreless first half and scored 13 points on only three shots in the second half. Perrantes went a perfect six-for-six from the charity stripe in the second.

Virginia next travels to Tallahassee for a Sunday evening matchup with Florida State. Tipoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.