StudCo discusses transgender student initiatives, parking

Representative meeting approves six new CIOs

<p>Student Council discussed transgender student initiatives, parking and approved six new CIOs at its Tuesday meeting.</p>

Student Council discussed transgender student initiatives, parking and approved six new CIOs at its Tuesday meeting.

Student Council discussed an initiative to benefit transgender students Tuesday night at its general body meeting.

Headed by second-year student Brett Curtis, a College representative for Student Council , the proposal requests the administration implement gender neutral floors and/or dorms, gender neutral bathrooms and to include benefits specific to transgender students under the University health insurance policy.

A survey issued via email to members of the student body requesting feedback on the initiative has received over 650 responses, Curtis said.

“It’s a very positive response so far,” Curtis said.

Despite this, Curtis noted that the data is skewed toward first-year students and students who live on Grounds. Approximately 35 percent of the respondents were first-year students.

“One of the easiest options is just creating co-ed floors as opposed to single-sex floors,” Curtis said. “The current accommodations do not go far enough.”

The Student Council body also discussed the lack of sufficient student parking, which was brought up at a previous meeting. After that meeting, Student Council President Abraham Axler, a third-year College student, said he was in communication with Director of Parking and Transportation Becca White.

Axler reported while one currently requires a pass to park in the Culbreth Parking Garage, it may be possible to extend this option to all University students.

“If you took off the barrier, you could park there for a small fee instead of needing a permit,” he said.

While Axler expressed uncertainty about how helpful such a change would be given the distance from Culbreth to Central Grounds, he said it seemed to be the only place where expansion is possible. Axler said he will be meeting with White to discuss the situation further.

Following the General Body meeting, there was a representative meeting at which the representatives voted unanimously to grant six new organizations CIO status. The organizations are Destino, Alpha and Omega, Flash Seminars at U.Va., Girl Up, Hoos Healthcare Application and Policy Education and La Vida Buena.