​“Deadpool” delivers quality, raunchy hilarity

Spoiler alert: this “superhero movie” is not for little children

<p>The highly-anticipated film "Deadpool" sees highs and lows.</p>

The highly-anticipated film "Deadpool" sees highs and lows.

For years, the idea of a Deadpool movie floated around the fringes of the film industry, and would periodically resurface from the depths of obscurity, only to once more disappear behind the machinations of Hollywood. However, in 2016, the Merc with a Mouth has finally emerged from perpetual development hell.

Written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick and starring Ryan Reynolds as the titular character, “Deadpool” offers a wholly different take relative to its counterparts in the superhero genre, and does so with style. Though the elements which contextualize Deadpool’s place in the larger 20th Century Fox cinematic universe (a.k.a. the “X-Men” movies) sometimes feel shoehorned, the movie is a show of clever wit and debaucherous comedy that doesn’t care if you think it’s tasteful or not.

Like many other films in the superhero genre, “Deadpool” is an origin story for its protagonist, Wade Wilson. The movie illustrates how Wade acquires his specials powers, which include accelerated healing and physical regeneration, in addition to enhanced strength and speed. It also depicts him as a mouthy, antihero smartass, which keeps in line with the comic book source material.

At its core, the film’s plot centers around a somewhat formulaic love story. Nevertheless, it handles it in a very clever way, often acknowledging and criticizing the conventions which are interlaced throughout. In fact, it is the very self-aware character, Deadpool, which defines “Deadpool.”

The movie often employs tactics which break the fourth wall, and interacts with the audience. Meta-humor can be difficult to execute properly, but the film pulls it off with finesse. Its self-referential jokes do not feel contrived, but rather, witty and even intellectual.

Degrees of pop culture allusions and satire are also infused within the larger framework of lewd and sometimes obscene comedy. Make no mistake: “Deadpool” is rated R, and it utilizes that rating to its full advantage.

While “Deadpool” is largely a humorous movie, there are occasionally points in the story where the tone dramatically shifts to a darker, more serious side. Fortunately, these moments are not jarring in a negative way, because they often occur alongside moments in the plot which call for such shifts. They are thus a welcome addition.

Of course, it must be noted, despite the fact that “Deadpool” is often not supposed to be taken completely seriously, there are a few moments in the story where an entirely bizarre event is used to advance the plot, adding a feel of artificiality to the film. Also, since “Deadpool” is a character within the X-Men realm of Marvel fiction owned by 20th Century Fox, a few members of the group show up in the movie. Their appearances feel somewhat contrived, as if to emulate the Marvel/Disney formula, and their roles sometimes feel larger than needed.

From the opening shots of the film to its obligatory after-credits scene, it is easy to see “Deadpool” as simply different from its counterparts in the superhero genre. There is a degree of craftsmanship oozing from almost every moment in the movie, as if the writers, actors and everyone else involved actively strove to produce something truly unique. The final product does not achieve this effect in spite of its raunchy comedy, smart self-referential humor and exciting action, but rather, because of these things.