Examining eating disorders

University experts explain how body image, loss of control and even other mental disorders may contribute

<p>Last week, the University held Celebrating Every Body Week, opening up discussion about eating disorders, as well as general body image issues.</p>

Last week, the University held Celebrating Every Body Week, opening up discussion about eating disorders, as well as general body image issues.

Rearing their heads in a variety of forms, eating disorders do not discriminate — affecting individuals regardless of their social class, economic status, gender, race or age. According to the National Eating Disorder Association, or NEDA, only a minority of individuals with such diseases talked with a professional concerning their eating health specifically.

NEDA states “denial, shame or stigma, or a lack of recognition of eating symptoms by professionals treating other targeted problems” as a potential explanation for this crisis.

Melanie Brede, nutritionist at Student Health’s Office of Health Promotion, expressed similar concerns.

“When we look at surveys as to why people do or don’t reach out for help, they often express that they didn’t think it was that serious,” Brede said. “Some of the effects of eating disorders may not be apparent on the surface.”

Her keen interest with this issue at the University arises from her passion in working with students who are experiencing such eating disorders. Brede described significant interactions between eating, health and psychology.

“This is a time when eating concerns are not uncommon and that comes up with a lot of students in their personal health counseling,” Brede said.

Although eating disorders are typically associated with women, Brede explained men are affected as well. Their symptoms, however, may go unnoticed — as they commonly feel

pressures to be built and muscular.

“Some of the signs people are looking for when they are looking for anorexia may not fit when [males] are trying to gain and eat more,” Brede said.

Denise Styer, Clinical Director at the Center for Eating Disorders at Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital, has 15 years of experience in the field of eating disorders. She started a self-injury program in 2002, and then took over the eating disorders program in 2008.

Upon review of the April to October 2015 data, 10 percent of patients were male, Styer said in an email statement.

“With both males and females, the eating disorder oftentimes is something the individual feels they can control — especially if they do not believe they have control in other areas of their life,” she said.

Brede and Styer emphasized the variety of factors contributing to these diseases, ranging from social pressures and psychological factors to genetics.

While many individuals go on diets and do not develop an eating disorders, some patients are genetically predisposed to developing eating or weight problems.

“For many individuals with eating disorders, it started out simply enough of wanting to diet,” Styer said. “The dieting then took over and the initial weight goal wasn’t low enough, or their

exercising was not enough.”

Eating disorders are a serious concern. Styer explained eating disorders patients have the highest mortality rate amongst all mental health illnesses, in part because it is often difficult to tell if a patient is suffering from an eating disorder simply by appearance.

There are a variety of options available for University students grappling with these diseases, including Student Health, the Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center and local medical professionals.

With Celebrate Every Body Week having finished this week, the topic of eating disorders is not far from many members of the University community’s mind. For those who missed the events and awareness efforts this past week, there is another opportunity — the Southern Smash March 22 — to learn about and rise above eating disorders.

Brede described the event as an opportunity for students to smash scales and gain their freedom from weight numbers. The day will also include a photo booth and panel presentation.

Brede emphasized individuals should not just be aware of potential weight and eating struggles within themselves, but also with their peers.

“If you have a friend that you have concerns about, it is worth saying something,” Brede said.