Student Council plans student memorial service

Members reflect on experience during last term meeting

<p>Student Council discussed plans for a memorial service and reflected on the past year at the last meeting of this term.</p>

Student Council discussed plans for a memorial service and reflected on the past year at the last meeting of this term.

Student Council discussed plans for an upcoming University student memorial service at its last term meeting Tuesday night.

Vice President of Administration Daria Winsky, a fourth-year Batten student, said she is currently in the process of exploring venues for the event, which will be dedicated to the University students who passed away this year. Although the location and date are not set, the body reached a general consensus on Old Cabell Hall as the best option, partially due to its history and the sentiment that many University students attach to it.

“This isn’t going to be a stiff ceremony, it’s going to be really beautiful and personal,” Winsky said.

The event will be open to any students and community members who would like to gather in remembrance.

“We will be publicizing this and contacting the family and friends that we know of personally very soon,” Winsky said.

Other updates offered at the meeting included an announcement from Katherine Brandon, a second-year College student and co-chair of the Legislative Affairs Committee, who said the committee has received an award for registering the most people to vote in Virginia. Brandon will accept the award on behalf of the committee at an event in Richmond, which will include a reception with Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

Second-year College student Sarah Kenny, current co-chair of the Public Service committee and incoming vice president of administration, said the University will hire a new public service coordinator soon.

The meeting concluded with reflections offered by some members on their time in Student Council.

Co-chair of Entrepreneurship and Innovations John Moore, a fourth-year College student, thanked the body for his four years in Student Council and said he has learned through the experience.

“I’ll miss agreeing and I’ll miss disagreeing because it was always out of this contagious love that everyone in this room has for U.Va.,” Moore said.

The council’s official transition ceremony will take place Friday in the Chapel.