James Franco to come to Grounds in April

Actor joins President’s Speakers Series for the Arts

<p>Franco has appeared in films such as “Pineapple Express,” “127 Hours” and “The Interview.”</p>

Franco has appeared in films such as “Pineapple Express,” “127 Hours” and “The Interview.”

James Franco will be joining the President’s Speakers Series for the Arts on April 17, the University announced Monday.

Franco will speak about his experiences in the arts at John Paul Jones Arena in a conversation with Vice Provost for the Arts Jody Kielbasa. Franco will also answer questions from students.

An award-winning actor, Franco has appeared in films such as “Milk,” “127 Hours” and “Pineapple Express.” He has also appeared on Broadway in “Of Mice & Men” and has directed features like “As I Lay Dying.”

Franco is a “cultural icon for his generation,” Kielbasa said in a press release.

“While [Franco] is known to millions by his celebrated work as a film actor, director and producer, he continues to fashion a career that is devoid of limitations, and one that finds him creating, teaching and learning across the entire arts spectrum, from visual art to creative writing to the Broadway stage, the world of music and more,” Kielbasa said.

University President Teresa Sullivan said the community looks forward to welcoming Franco to Grounds.

“James Franco’s noteworthy work as an actor, writer and filmmaker, his involvement in the arts community and his appreciation for the importance of education and lifelong learning make him an ideal choice to be this year’s Presidential Speaker for the Arts,” Sullivan said in a press release.

Kielbasa said Franco’s work with teaching classes at the University of California Los Angeles was an important factor in his selection as a speaker.

“He is equally tireless in his commitment to learning, both through his teaching at UCLA and his own continuing studies,” Kielbasa said.

Franco is the third speaker in the President’s Speakers Series for the Arts, following actors Tina Fey and Kevin Spacey.

Tickets will be available for free to students and the public starting March 15.