MOUSAVI: Engage the greater Charlottesville community

The Cavalier Daily should extend its scope to include more local issues

The Cavalier Daily prides itself as being an independent student newspaper at our University. Its main concerns are thus with the day-to-day doings and issues that impact those within its relevant communities. What of its role within the City of Charlottesville, though? Should the school's chief publication amplify its coverage of subjects and topics beyond the physical boundaries of Central Grounds?

An individual affiliated with the University, of course, engages himself directly with what happens on Grounds. Whatever he may be — a student, professor or administrator — he is exposed to a set of social situations and statuses unique to him. These are connections that, consciously or unconsciously, affiliate him with what the University does. Now, student-based organizations such as The Cavalier Daily ideally bring issues and concerns to the attention of these bodies, which would otherwise be unseen or unheard by a majority of the community. This engagement helps us, whatever roles we play here, to become aware of and involved with what happens here. These student groups, as they are established, have such a duty and must persist in carrying it out.

However, what of us — pupils, teachers and the like — when it comes to the greater Charlottesville community? After all, regardless of our roles and statuses here, we still inhabit this city, breathe its air and play our parts in its various locales. Whether we choose to or not, we participate consciously or unconsciously within its boundaries, despite the myriad ways we may construe its environments, peoples and borders. What "happens" here, then, should relate and stay important to us at the University.

Take a fascinating Opinion article from this week's Cavalier Daily issue, for instance. It argues, in effect, for the removal of the George Rogers Clark statue near the school’s hospital because of it being "culturally inappropriate.” Such a subject has no immediate instigation against the University, nor a vital impact upon specific people at the school. Yet, as residents of this town, is it not proper to be aware of such potential problems and to be regarded with even the smallest details of what construes our locale? Similar articles would serve those exact purposes, and have before in past Cavalier Daily issues.

Granted, Charlottesville has its other media outlets to cover the quotidian happenings in our city. The Daily Progress, C-VILLE Weekly and others do their job in covering newsworthy stories for all us residents. Does the average student, though, who may not have as strong a connection to this town as other University-based individuals, engage with those publications regularly? This is the prime question. Yet I do not risk generalization. It should be safe to say, though, that The Cavalier Daily might be their prime source of campus-related news. So what can be done to expand that?

The publication, along with similar groups here, has an opportunity — and perhaps a responsibility — to engage with greater Charlottesville and pop whatever bubble that may close this University off from it. It could provide its readers with relevant content from a multiplicity of unique, student-based perspectives to see and hear of more beyond the borders of central Grounds. What better way, then (besides going out and about in this town, of course) to maximize a connection with this wonderful city, critically, leisurely or otherwise — even if it's only for a short time?

Sasan Mousavi is the Public Editor for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at publiceditor@cavalierdaily.com or on Twitter at @CDPublicEditor.