​Rock icon gives his latest gift to world

Iggy Pop’s “Post Pop Depression” adds even greater depth to the Godfather of Punk

A brief recounting of the life and career of Iggy Pop makes clear why he deserves to be called a legend: from early collaborations with the late David Bowie to inventing the stage dive. Iggy Pop has never been one to shy away from adventure and innovation, both musically and socially. The release of “Post Pop Depression” marks his first release of original compositions since “Préliminaires” in 2009.

Though the album is credited as an Iggy Pop solo album, it is important to note that both the production and lead guitar work is done by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme. Drums and percussion are provided by Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helders, while Queens of the Stone Age multi-instrumentalist Dean Fertita contributes bass, rhythm guitar, keys and synths.

The presence of both Homme and Fertita brings forth a strong desert-rock influence, which is heard throughout the album. While this particular sound may be new to Iggy Pop’s style, it definitely does not take away from his performance.

Context is important to improve the listening experience, and the album title may provide just enough information to allow the listener to have multiple interpretations after each listen. While it is quite possible “Post Pop Depression” may be a reference to the evident decline and transformation of the rock dynasty in the late 90s, the title could also take on a more personal meaning.

With the passing of other rock icons like David Bowie and Lemmy, Iggy Pop could be placing his career, relevance and legacy into perspective. This theory is expounded upon with the bass-centric and driving “American Valhalla,” where Pop reflects on his life and desires to enter into a metaphorical version of the Norse warrior-heaven.

The sonic landscape of this record is unsettling and uneasy, yet charming and charismatic. With the passing of each track, there is a constant and persistent feeling of anxiety brought by Pop’s vocal delivery and subject matter. Pop defines this mood on the very first track when, rather than knocking on the door for permission, he declares how he will “Break Into Your Heart” with his first song on the album.

The album’s instrumentation helps showcase Pop’s versatility. The extremely catchy “Gardenia” almost gives off a pop vibe, whereas the danceable “Sunday” sounds like a dusty and derailed disco tune. Though Matt Helders’ drumming on Arctic Monkeys albums has been characterized by intricate patterns, his drumming on “Post Pop Depression” is much more groove-oriented. This style is further complimented by Homme and Fertita, as both choose variegating the main riff of the song over taking extended solos.

Whether this is your first Iggy Pop album or your twentieth, you will certainly be able to find something to admire with the Godfather of Punk’s newest album.