Third time’s the charm for Miike Snow

“iii” embodies what the trio does best, with a few misses along the way.

<p>Trio Miike Snow released their new album "iii" recently.</p>

Trio Miike Snow released their new album "iii" recently.

Miike Snow, the indie pop trio composed of Christian Karlsson, Andrew Wyatt and Pontus Winnburg, released “iii,” their first full-length studio album since 2012, after a three-year silent period. With their third album, the group returns with an updated, smoother, warmer sound that still holds true to the style from the first album that shot them into the spotlight back in 2009.

The album kicks off with “My Trigger,” a catchy, smooth tune with an upbeat, fresh bass, that showcases how Miike Snow has refreshed their style, staying in line with current pop tendencies, without seeming contrived or overdone. It is the perfect sample of what is to come on the rest of the album and a solid transition into the next track on the album, “The Heart of Me.”

“The Heart of Me” is a solid mix of the airy, light classic, indie anthem and experimental, electropop. The transitions are rich and varied with many different layers without being too busy. The lyrics play up the hopeless romantic, light-hearted, carefree wonder of past indie pop anthems without coming off like a trope, almost as if it is a watered down version to the next track, and highlight of the album, “Genghis Khan.”

“Genghis Khan” was the second single, after “The Heart of Me,” released prior to that of the entire album. This track is full of chilling harmonies, a mature, yet accessible bass riff and an unforgettable, smooth melody. It embodies the stylistic growth in scope and increased attention to detail Miike Snow must have spent those past three years of silence on and one of the best tracks on the album.

The album hits a bump on “For U,” which features Charli XCX of “Boom Clap” fame. It kicks off unabashedly with fast-paced and disorienting layers reminiscent of any 2010 dubstep track, but is balanced out by the ethereal and airy track, “I Feel the Weight,” that follows it.

Another highlight off the album is the lush, light, yet solid track, “Back of the Car.” Modern with bright, falsetto vocals accompanied by a deep, thumping bass, it masters the mistakes made in tracks like “For U” and features just enough variation to be fresh and new while still remaining cohesive.

“iii” features a vibrant, more experimental sound than that of Miike Snow’s previous two albums. Though the trio missed the mark on a couple tracks, the risks they took were refreshing and made for a solid release after a lengthy hiatus.