​Titus Andronicus, Craig Finn rock the house at The Southern

Indie-punk band gets crowd “Fired Up”

<p>Titus Andronicus filled The Southern's stage with energy.</p>

Titus Andronicus filled The Southern's stage with energy.

Patrick Stickles is not a very happy man. Having fronted Titus Andronicus since 2005, almost every lyric he’s penned for the band has reveled in self-loathing and hatred of both the people around him and humanity at large.

Acclaimed albums like “The Monitor” and, most recently, “The Most Lamentable Tragedy” have specialized in releasing that anger through some of the most epic and cathartic punk anthems ever written.

Understanding the response “How can we make self-hatred a blast?” is crucial for a Titus Andronicus concert. From the opening chords of “Fatal Flaw,” everyone in the crowd lost themselves in the band’s pure energy and chemistry, even at their most self-loathing. Heads were banged, fists were pumped and mosh pits were attempted. Leave it to a band like Titus Andronicus to get a crowd chanting “You will always be a loser!” (from “No Future Part Three: Escape from No Future”) for two minutes straight, with grins on their faces.

A healthy sampling across all four albums made for a great setlist, but “The Battle of Hampton Roads” easily stole the show. Every ounce of built-up, pent-up anger and catharsis from the original 15-minute recording was preserved. Unfortunately, there was no one to perform the song’s famous bagpipe solo, but the guitarists — and some chanting audience members — did an admirable job of mimicking it. The following explosion of sound and guitar solos which conclude the song left the crowd wild.

Craig Finn, attempting the solo route instead of fronting his more famous group, The Hold Steady, was no slouch either. What he lacks in vocal range, he more than makes up for with dramatic hand gestures and expressive faces. He’s clearly born to be a storyteller, and his anecdotes between songs always provided the emotional context needed to understand his music.

Although his touring musicians never stirred the crowd the way Titus Andronicus would, they gave a solid backbeat to Finn’s twisted tales and lyrics, with several foreboding bass lines sticking out in particular.

This “No Faith / No Future / No Problem” tour is just getting started, with the Charlottesville show being only the second date. The Southern, as a smaller venue, gave a real sense of intimacy that fit the show perfectly.

The artists will be performing across the country through March 27 — take the chance to catch them live elsewhere if you can.