Virginia’s NCAA run ends in Elite Eight

<p>Virginia's Final Four bid fell short Sunday night against Syracuse. The Cavaliers blew a 16-point second half lead.</p>

Virginia's Final Four bid fell short Sunday night against Syracuse. The Cavaliers blew a 16-point second half lead.

The Cavalier faithful have experienced their fair share of heartbreaks over the years, but few will sting more than Virginia’s 68-62 loss Sunday night against Syracuse. On a team loaded with four scholarship seniors — including the ACC Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year — coach Tony Bennett’s team only needed to defeat the Orange to secure the program’s first Final Four berth since 1984.

Through the first half and into the second, all seemed well for top-seeded Virginia (29-8). With a 35-21 halftime advantage, a dunk by senior forward Anthony Gill gave Virginia a 16-point lead — its largest of the game — just seconds into the second half.

However, trailing 54-39 with 9:33 to play, Syracuse (23-13) implemented a full-court press to disrupt Virginia’s rhythm. The result proved to be the game’s turning point, as the Orange took advantage of an out-of-sync Cavalier squad to explode on a 25-4 run, including 15-consecutive points.

Freshman guard Malachi Richardson scored 21 of his team-high 23-points in the second half. Junior guard Tyler Roberson scored 10-points while grabbing eight-rebounds.

Syracuse scored 15 points off of 13 Virginia turnovers. The Orange went 20-25 from the free-throw line, while the Cavaliers only had 12 attempts. Syracuse out-rebounded Virginia, 36-34.

The Cavaliers were outscored, 47-27, in the second half.

Virginia shot 42 percent from the field, compared to 37 percent for the Orange. Junior guard London Perrantes scored a team-high 18-points by shooting 6-of-10 from three. Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon ended his career with a 12-point, 7-rebound performance. Gill and senior center Mike Tobey both added 10-points.

The Cavaliers went on a 19-2 first half run, but tenth-seeded Syracuse chip its way back. The Orange are only the fourth double-digit seed to make the Final Four.

Brogdon finished his illustrious Virginia career with 1,809 points — good for ninth on the program’s all-time list.

The team’s 89 wins over the past three seasons were the most in a three-year stretch, surpassing the 88 wins achieved from 1981-83. The 112 wins by Virginia’s seniors matched the total of the 1983 squad, which featured Ralph Sampson — a three-time All-American and ACC Player of the Year.