​Men’s golf places eighth at ACC Tournament

<p>Junior Jimmy Stanger tied for 16th at even-par 216 at the ACC Championships. The Cavaliers tied for eighth after a disastrous final day of competition.</p>

Junior Jimmy Stanger tied for 16th at even-par 216 at the ACC Championships. The Cavaliers tied for eighth after a disastrous final day of competition.

The Virginia men’s golf team tied for eighth place at the ACC Tournament, hosted this past weekend at the Old North State Club in New London, N.C. The Cavaliers struggled to keep pace with some of the top programs in the nation over the course of the weekend, suffering final round setbacks to post a team total of 6-over 870.

No. 12 Clemson took home first place in the 63rd rendition of the ACC Tournament, shooting an impressive 25-under 839 over the weekend. They were followed by Wake Forest (14-under 850), Florida State (5-under 859), Georgia Tech (even-par 864) and Duke (1-over 865) for top-five finishes.

Louisville (2-over 866) and North Carolina State (5-over 869) also finished ahead of Virginia, while North Carolina tied the Cavaliers for eighth place. Notre Dame (19-over 883), Virginia Tech (26-over 890) and Boston College (37-over 901) rounded out the remainder of the leaderboard.

Freshman Thomas Walsh led the way individually for Virginia, finishing tied for ninth overall with a score of 3-under 213 — the second lowest mark by any freshman in the field of 60 players. Juniors Jimmy Stanger and Derek Bard tied for 16th at even-par 216, while sophomore Danny Walker and freshman Ashton Poole tied for 46th at 11-over 227.

Louisville senior Robin Sciot-Siegrist took home individual honors with a 10-under 206 finish.

Although out of contention for first place after the first round, the Cavaliers came into Sunday poised to record a top-five finish. Following an opening round 1-under 287, Virginia was tied for third. The team remained consistent through Saturday as well — posting an even-par 288 — which left them tied for fourth to start of the final round.

However, Sunday’s final round spelled trouble for Virginia. Although buoyed by Walsh’s 3-under 69 — the only score under 70 recorded by a Virginia golfer on the weekend — each of his four teammates had their worst day of the tournament, resulting in a 7-over 295 finish on the day. The poor showing allowed for NC State, Louisville and Duke to jump the Cavaliers on the leaderboard.

Virginia hopes to bounce back from its worst finish of the spring season in its next round of postseason competition, which will come with the NCAA Regional rounds beginning May 16.