Va. State Police officer dies after shooting Thursday

Suspect killed by officers, two others injured

Four people were shot at the Greyhound Bus Station in Richmond on Thursday afternoon. One of the victims, Virginia State Police trooper Chad P. Dermyer, died Thursday after suffering life-threatening injuries.

The shooting suspect, who has been identified as 34-year-old James Brown III of Aurora, Ill., also died Thursday afternoon at the VCU Medical Center from gunshots from two other nearby state troopers. His body has been transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy and exam.

Two adult female civilians inside the terminal were also shot and transported to VCU Medical Center to be treated for non-life threatening injuries. No other law enforcement officers or civilians were injured.

At 2:45 p.m. on Thursday, Dermyer encountered Brown inside the entrance of the bus station. While talking, Brown allegedly pulled out a firearm and shot Dermyer several times. Two other state troopers nearby returned fire as Brown continued firing. Brown then moved into the terminal’s restaurant.

Police took Brown into custody and EMS crews attempted to provide him with aid. Brown continued to be combative during this encounter.

The shooter’s handgun was recovered at the scene. This is an ongoing investigation.

Dermyer is the 62nd Virginia State Trooper to be killed during service since the office’s conception 84 years ago. He was a part of a group of a dozen state troopers participating in training on criminal interdiction practices.

At the time of the shooting, the group was conducting field practicals as the second part of the training. Dermyer’s encounter with Brown was a part of the training.