U.Va. hosts consulting symposium

Over 230 students gain exposure to popular career field

<p>Through University Career Services, students&nbsp;had the opportunity to learn about the consulting industry and meet its professionals.&nbsp;</p>

Through University Career Services, students had the opportunity to learn about the consulting industry and meet its professionals. 

University Career Services hosted a consulting symposium last Friday, August 26 in collaboration with the U.Va. Data Science Institute, the Batten School, the Engineering School, the Department of Economics and the Commerce School.

Through the symposium, students were exposed to the career of consulting through presentations, mock interviews and information sessions.

“It [was] an opportunity to introduce students to the world of consulting and to really give them the opportunity to learn about the diversity of industries and service areas that consulting firms cover, and then give them an opportunity to observe and practice case interviews” Jennifer Harvey, associate director of the business community and event organizer, said.

The event started with a keynote address from Assistant Prof. Brendan Boler of the Commerce School. Students had the opportunity to meet and learn about the multitude of consulting firms present and then watch a mock case interview.

Assistant Dean for Commerce Career Services Denise Egan said 235 students and over 40 alumni participated in the symposium. The event allowed students to explore different areas of consulting, including management strategy, assistance, human capital, systems integration and technology.

Students had to RSVP to the event using the newly implemented online career service Handshake, which replaced Cavlink in June of this year.

“[Handshake] provides a new user interface for students and Career Services and employers across the board,” Harvey said. “It builds off of machine learning so students are getting more tailored content based on their interests from an industry perspective and from a job function perspective.”

This is the second year University Career Services has hosted a consulting symposium. Unlike the past, this year’s symposium was a one-day event. Because this event was all encompassing across many disciplines and majors, more students were able to attend and more firms were present to network.

“Rather than just 40 students coming to hear our panel, you get 350 slots for students not only to listen to what consulting is like but also to go through the whole experience of case interviews,” Jennifer Jones, senior career counselor in the Economics Department, said. “Now because of the Consulting Symposium [students] are actually going through the whole process.”

The consulting industry is an important stepping stone for many University graduates. According to the 2015 McIntire Destinations Report, 26 percent of Commerce School graduates took a consulting position after graduation.

“A lot of our students really enjoy starting their careers in consulting because it gives them an opportunity to perhaps learn about a number of industry sectors and get exposure and experience,” Egan said. “Lots of consulting positions afford an opportunity to travel and a lot of our students really enjoy that aspect of the work. At the McIntire School, we are… very focused on building strong teams. In order to be an effective consultant, you have to be a very dynamic team player.”

This event was the first of many opportunities for students to learn about the consulting industry. On Sept. 15, the Career Center and Economics Department are hosting an Economic and Litigation Consulting Night to provide further opportunity for University students.

“Students who missed this Symposium shouldn’t feel like they cannot pursue consulting on Grounds,” Jones said. “It’s important for students to know that there are a lot of consulting firms out there that aren’t necessarily recruiting on Grounds. This was not the end at all, it’s just the beginning.”

The event started with a keynote address from Assistant Professor Brendan Boler of the Commerce School. Students had the opportunity to meet and learn about the multitude of consulting firms present and then watch a mock case interview.

“[Handshake] provides a new user interface for students and Career Services and employers across the board,” Harvey said. “It builds off of machine learning so students are getting more tailored content based on their interests from an industry perspective and from a job function perspective. It’s just easier to navigate in.”

The consulting industry is an important stepping stone for many U.Va. graduates. According to the 2015 McIntire Destinations Report, 26 percent of Commerce School graduates took a consulting position after graduation.