Hillary Clinton calls students as part of campaign

Democratic nominee discusses goals to address student debt

<p>According to the Clinton Campaign, its team working at the University is part of the Virginia Democratic Coordinated Campaign’s efforts to register voters and help elect not only Clinton but other democratic candidates in Virginia.</p>

According to the Clinton Campaign, its team working at the University is part of the Virginia Democratic Coordinated Campaign’s efforts to register voters and help elect not only Clinton but other democratic candidates in Virginia.

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton hosted a “Back to School Call” with student volunteers across the country last Thursday, including University students. The call — and Students for Hillary voter registration drives on campuses — is part of the Clinton campaign’s effort to register and commit 3 million Americans to vote for Democrats this election season.

Clinton began the call by thanking students for their participation in the campaign and said she began working on presidential campaigns herself when she was in college.

“I’m running for president, and you know because you’re out there in this campaign with me, because I want to to make a real difference in the lives of all Americans — no matter where you live, what you look like or who you love — and I know that’s true for all of you too,” Clinton said.

Following her remarks, Clinton took two questions from student volunteers. In response to a question about her plans to address student debt, Clinton said she wants to allow students refinance their loans at lower interest rates.

“Look, if Donald Trump can refinance his loans after going bankrupt six times … you deserve to be able to refinance yours,” Clinton said.

She also emphasized her commitment to ensuring that students’ educations are not disrupted by external factors, including sexual assault on campus. To this end, she mentioned a need for more mental health and addiction counseling on campuses, as well as providing child care for student parents.

The second question directed Clinton to speak about an impactful experience with a student. Clinton discussed a young man she met who wanted to open a business but could not get the necessary loans to do so because he was $30,000 in student debt.

To help students in similar positions, Clinton said she would implement a moratorium on those needing to pay back student debt for three years so they can develop good credit to start businesses.

Though Clinton’s remarks were directed at student organizers and volunteers from institutions across the country, some of those included were University students involved with U.Va. Students for Hillary.

Voter registration efforts on Grounds are also coordinated with Hillary for Virginia, a subset of the Clinton campaign. Hillary for Virginia’s statewide campus voter registration drive launched August 22, and they will continue hosting campaign events until November, according to a press release.

“At the events, students and volunteers will highlight Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine’s agenda to make debt-free college available to all Americans and to create an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top, which stands in stark contrast with Donald Trump’s dangerous policies and divisive rhetoric,” the press release said.

U.Va. Students for Hillary hosts organizing events, such as voter registration drives and phone banks, nearly every day on Grounds. The events are primarily staffed by student volunteers, who organize themselves through a Facebook group which currently has 360 members. Its goal is to ensure Clinton and other Democratic candidates are elected this fall.

Clinton concluded her remarks on the call by thanking student organizers for their hard work and strong stances against hatred and bigotry.

“This November, we’re going to prove that love trumps hate,” Clinton said.