Volleyball splits road games down south

<p>Senior outside hitter Jasmine Burton led the Cavaliers to an ACC series split this weekend.&nbsp;</p>

Senior outside hitter Jasmine Burton led the Cavaliers to an ACC series split this weekend. 

The Virginia volleyball team (5-19, 2-10 ACC) hit the road this weekend for two matches in search of another conference victory. After dropping the first match to Georgia Tech (19-5,10-2 ACC), the team rebounded with a win against Clemson (6-18, 1-11 ACC) in South Carolina.

Friday night, the Yellow Jackets hosted the Cavaliers in Atlanta, Ga. and were able to take down Virginia in straight sets as they did earlier in the season. The Cavaliers kept each set close but could not close the gap and win a set in the face of the Yellow Jackets’ persistent attack. Junior outside hitter Gabriela Stavnetchei led Georgia Tech with 14 kills, while red-hot senior outside hitter Jasmine Burton led Virginia with 12.

Virginia faced Clemson with the hopes of rebounding from Friday as well as securing its first sweep of a conference opponent this season. After the Tigers took the first set, the Cavaliers took over the game and won the next three, holding their opponent to under 20 points in each of the remaining sets.

It was a very special night for Burton, whose huge contribution of 17 kills put her are more than 1,000 in her illustrious career in Charlottesville. Senior outside hitter Haley Kole also had a big night with 17 kills of her own to build on an already-impressive season.

With eight games remaining in their season, the Cavaliers return home looking to build on the momentum generated from the Clemson win. Virginia hosts Syracuse (6-16, 5-7 ACC) Friday night before taking on Boston College (6-16, 1-11 ACC) Sunday. Both games are within reach for the Cavaliers, who will look to cash in after a week of preparation.