YAR attracts record crowd

Alumni Association sells 4,000 tickets to Homecomings event

A record-breaking crowd attended the University Alumni Association’s Young Alumni Reunions Oct. 15. The event, held during Homecomings weekend, welcomed the four most recently graduated classes back to Grounds.

The Alumni Association initially expected more than 3,000 tickets to be sold and ultimately solid about 4,000 tickets, a 10 percent increase from the most well-attended YAR ever held.

Jessica Hamilton, senior associate director for Young Alumni Programs, organized the event and said 3,700 tickets were pre-ordered, while another 300 were allotted to be sold at the door.

“We believe the increase in ticket sales is the result of increased excitement and word of mouth about the event from the [four] most recently graduated classes,” Hamilton said in an email statement. “We are happy to see that young alumni continue to return to Grounds to engage with each other and the University during Homecomings Weekend.”

Although the Alumni Association ordered more supplies for the event to account for increased attendance, Hamilton said no other significant changes were made to the event.

However, Austin Widner, a second-year College student and YAR intern, said alumni generally seemed more satisfied with the event than in previous years.

“The reports from this year compared to last year showed a positive increase in the satisfaction of those attending,” Widner said in an email statement. “We as interns were a bit taken back by the number of tickets sold that already seemed large for the venue, and continued growing as the date approached.”

Widner said the event was generally well received, and there was a lot of friendly interaction between young alumni and current students at the event. His only concerns were about security, but no incidents took place.

“That said, coming into the event, I was a bit concerned about the security of the event, as that many people in that size of an area is bound to cause some issue, but alas, we did not have a single instance where anyone was in danger,” Widner said.

Amelia Wald, a second-year College student and YAR intern, said she also thought the event was well-received.

Wald also said the Alumni Association capped ticket sales for the first time this year.

“Set up and take down were completed quickly, in large part thanks to incredible caterers and facilities management,” Wald said in an email statement. “The [Amphitheatre] was packed, but in a good way. All the alumni seemed so excited to be back, and it looked like they were having a great time. I would definitely recommend the event to anyone thinking about attending next year.”