“Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play” is a success

Drama Dept. paints vivid picture of post-apocalyptic world

October 2016
This photograph is licensed to the U.Va. Department of Drama for its marketing and advertising purposes. Third party use without consent of the photographer is prohibited.
October 2016 This photograph is licensed to the U.Va. Department of Drama for its marketing and advertising purposes. Third party use without consent of the photographer is prohibited.

“You have to hope when hope is senseless, and remember, remember, remember,” sang the cast of a show about a post-apocalyptic world.

The University Drama Department’s production of “Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play” premiered last Thursday. The play explores themes of culture, community and the importance of shared memory in a post-apocalyptic world. Featuring a small yet dynamic cast, the show is an eerie and evocative success. “Mr. Burns” tells the story of survivors who deal with the aftermath of a worldwide catastrophe by recounting episodes of “The Simpsons.”

“[When] I read about the premise of it, the idea of a shared cultural experience being part of what helps these people survive an apocalyptic event was really interesting to me — that something as simple as recounting a “Simpsons” episode could help the community,” Director and Drama Prof. Cady Garey said.

Juxtaposing the fear and danger of a post-apocalyptic world with the lighthearted and upbeat retelling of “Simpsons” episodes is no simple feat, but the cast of “Mr. Burns” walks the line masterfully, crafting a story rich with dark comedy, music and hauntingly potent themes

The play, split into three acts, opens to a group of survivors sitting around a campfire. Right away, there is a sharp contrast between the jovial conversation of characters fondly recounting “Simpsons” episodes and the palpable fear of other silent characters. In this first act, the audience learns that a major crisis has occurred — the United States is off the grid, cities are being evacuated and quarantined and people are searching desperately for friends and relatives. The scene is laden with fast-paced dialogue, which can easily be a stumbling block in performances, but the actors in “Mr. Burns” carry the scene with energetic intensity.

As the play goes on and the extent of the crisis becomes more apparent, the characters recount “The Simpsons” with growing intensity. With masterful subtlety, the actors convey this desperate need to cling to culture and memories in a disintegrating world.

Act two features new characters and showcases a musically adept cast. Seven years later, the survivors are making a living recreating episodes of “The Simpsons.” Now, the characters buy fragmented “Simpsons” lines from the public to piece together a TV show, complete with commercials that feature music from artists like Beyoncé, Eminem and Britney Spears. The act is a startling mix between fragmented cultural phenomena and potent danger and anarchy in a lawless society.

The final act is entirely musical and takes place 70 years further into the future. Both bizarre and poignant, the act is a futuristic interpretation of a “Simpsons” episode which reflects the survivors’ struggle to not give up hope.

“I think a lot of the themes are universal, especially in terms of what’s recently been happening in our political situation,” Virginia Garey, first-year College student and actress, said. “Things might be hard now, but we have to keep up hope … and keep surviving. And that’s all we can do, and I think the show really encapsulates that.”

The final act also features well-choreographed swordfights, tightly interwoven musical harmonies and even rap. The play finishes on a soaring, uplifting note, and stays with its audience long after the curtain closes.

“Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play” will be showing again Nov. 16-19 at 8 p.m. at Ruth Caplin Theatre.