Two pedestrians hit by cars in under 24 hours in U.Va. area

Both victims sustain non-life-threatening injuries

<p>A&nbsp;silver SUV struck a woman crossing the street in front of the Chemistry building.</p>

A silver SUV struck a woman crossing the street in front of the Chemistry building.

In fewer than 24 hours, two pedestrians were hit while using crosswalks in the University area.

The first incident occurred Jan. 26 at approximately 5:50 p.m. and involved a silver SUV striking a woman crossing the street in front of the Chemistry building.

“University Police responded to the 400 block of McCormick Road for a pedestrian who had been struck by a vehicle in the roadway,” Ben Rexrode, crime prevention coordinator for the University police, said in an email statement. “The pedestrian was treated and released at the U.Va. Medical Center.”

Deairra Thompson, a third-year Curry student and eyewitness to the accident, said she heard the crash before she saw it.

“I heard a loud crash, and I thought someone had hit the UPS truck that was across the street in front of old dorms, but instead when I looked up I saw that there was a girl rolling off of the silver SUV,” Thompson said. “She hit the ground and next thing I knew she was crying out in pain and everybody was running over there to her.”

The man driving the SUV slammed on the brakes and immediately got out of the car, Thompson said. She also said she assumed the girl was a student because she was wearing a backpack and coming from the direction of old dorms.

The incident on McCormick is currently under investigation, Rexrode said.

The second incident happened Jan. 27 at the intersection of Jefferson Park Avenue and Lee Street around 12:30 p.m. The accident was handled by Charlottesville Police.

“The pedestrian, a male in his early 20s, was crossing JPA in the crosswalk from the old hospital side heading towards the new/main hospital,” an email statement from Lt. Steve Upman read. “The driver (who was operating a passenger truck) was headed west on JPA, did not see the pedestrian and struck him.”

The pedestrian was being kept at the University Medical Center for observation, but he only sustained minor injuries.