KATUIN: Opinion authors should use less divisive language

Columnists have a responsibility to present well-structured arguments without using contentious language

Opinion pieces allow authors to present a specific argument to readers. Alongside objective and fair reporting on current events, these columns provide authors with a platform to express their ideas about an issue. These articles clearly articulate one side of debate and often align with views held by a subset of readers. In some recent Opinion columns published by the Cavalier Daily, authors have employed language that seems unnecessarily divisive. At a time when the political climate is becoming increasingly polarized and individuals on both sides of the aisle are talking past one another, it is imperative that journalists present clear and level-headed arguments.

This is not to say that authors should not express a political opinion. In fact, it is vitally important that they do. A well-written op-ed can impact the way readers think about an issue, and even change their opinions. However, including language that is considered inflammatory by many readers does little to bridge the divide. If readers can only make it through the first several sentences of an article before becoming angered by what they view to be a mischaracterization of an issue, they will not be willing to finish the article nor consider the author’s points. This is a challenging and increasingly partisan time in America, but the media has an important role to play when it come to keeping the public informed, and not fanning the flames unnecessarily.

Authors have a responsibility to present well-structured and fact-based arguments that do not include seemingly contentious language. While it can be challenging to present opinions in a more objective and unemotional manner, this method of writing will reach a larger audience and be more likely to spark substantive debate among readers. Authors and editors should work hard to keep their heads above the fray, do everything in their power to inform readers and make sure the arguments are clearly heard. Combative language is sure to alienate some readers and prevent an author’s valid points from being made.

Now is the time to exit the echo chamber and ensure that the Cavalier Daily remains readable for individuals of every political persuasion. Authors should strive to reach readers that may not already agree with them. I encourage the authors and editors of the Cavalier Daily to carefully consider stylistic choices in their articles. This is not a call to limit individuality or prevent a strongly worded opinion column from going to print but to challenge staff to make powerful and substantive arguments in their opinion pieces. Expectations and standards for these columns should remain high and ought to be written with the Cavalier Daily’s diverse community of readers in mind.

Jacquelyn Katuin is the Public Editor for The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at publiceditor@cavalierdaily.com or on Twitter at @CDPublicEditor.