Data show large pay ranges across schools

A comparison of median incomes, top earners at U.Va.

<p>The Schools of Architecture and Nursing both have their highest salaries between four and five times higher than their median salary, while&nbsp;the School of Medicine's highest-paid employee is paid&nbsp;over nine times higher than median salary.</p>

The Schools of Architecture and Nursing both have their highest salaries between four and five times higher than their median salary, while the School of Medicine's highest-paid employee is paid over nine times higher than median salary.

According to data obtained by The Cavalier Daily, there is a large pay range between median incomes and top earners both across the University and within individual schools.

The school with the largest range, the School of Medicine, has their highest paid faculty member making $600,000 compared to the median of the 2,750 full-time salaries within the school at $66,031 — over nine times higher.

With a similar range in the College of Arts and Sciences, where the highest of 1,567 salaries is $500,000 — about eight times higher than the median salary of $60,094 within the school.

On the other side of the spectrum are the Schools of Architecture and Nursing, both having their highest salaries between four and five times higher than their median salary. The School of Architecture’s peak salary is $300,000 compared to their median salary of $70,490, with the School of Nursing having peak and median salaries of $367,100 and $74,538, respectively.

Additionally, the median salaries between schools fall within a wide range. The median salary in the Commerce School is $78,800, almost 33 percent higher than the median salary within the College of Arts and Sciences, $60,094.

These salaries do not include one-time bonus payments which can be awarded to faculty to recognize exceptional accomplishments, retain faculty members likely to be recruited by other employers or as an initial bonus to persuade a potential faculty member to work at the University.

Each school has a separate budget within the University and the deans of the different schools are responsible for setting the budget for the individual departments. Faculty salaries are assigned in accordance with federal, state and local laws, according to University guidelines.

“The University has established guidelines for a consistent and fiscally responsible means for supervisors to compensate University faculty in support of the University’s commitment to attract, develop, retain and recognize excellent faculty,” University Deputy Spokesperson Matt Charles said in an email to The Cavalier Daily.

Salary increases are awarded in conjunction with annual performance reviews for each faculty member. Salary increases might also be awarded to correct an administrative error, if the faculty member’s responsibilities have changed or for faculty member retention. Each raise is calculated to best fit the individual case and is not awarded on a predetermined merit-based scale.

“Increases should be awarded in accordance with the school's approved peer review plan and methodology for distributing increases,” Charles said.