Virginia student-athletes cash out on spring awards

Spring teams see numerous student-athletes named All-ACC athletes

<p>Sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson was the star of award season.</p>

Sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson was the star of award season.

Student-athletes at Virginia perform on the field and in the classroom everyday at the highest level. Hard work becomes tangible, as accolades and awards came in bunches for Virginia’s spring athletes. Virginia teams were loaded with student-athletes that received All-ACC honors, achieved draft selections or garnered rookie or player of the year honors.

Men’s Baseball Awards and Accomplishments —

Five Virginia baseball players were selected in the first ten rounds of the MLB Draft. First baseman Pavin Smith, centerfielder Adam Haseley, and pitcher Tommy Doyle went in the first two rounds, followed by shortstop Ernie Clement and pitcher Alec Bettinger.

Doyle earned All-America Third Team honors and Haseley grabbed Second-Team All-America honors. Doyle, Smith, and Haseley were all named to the ABCA All-Atlantic Region team. Haseley was also selected as one of four finalists for the prestigious Golden Spikes Awards.

Women’s Softball Awards and Accomplishments —

Virginia softball saw multiple players with All-ACC honors for the first time in over seven years. Catcher Katie Park worked her way onto the All-ACC first team and infielder Kaitlin Fitzgerald made the second team. Park also received First Team All-Region honors from the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.

Park was also awarded Virginia Sports Information Directors (VaSID) First Team All-State honors, along with junior outfielder Allison Davis and junior first baseman Danni Ingraham, who garnered Second Team All-State recognition.

Men’s Lacrosse Awards and Accomplishments —

Virginia sophomore midfielder Ryan Conrad, freshman attackman Michael Kraus and senior attackmen Zed Williams were named to the 18-man 2017 All-ACC team. Conrad and Kraus were the only two underclassmen on the team.

For his outstanding freshman season, Kraus was named ACC Rookie of the Year. Conrad, Kraus, Williams and freshman midfielder Dox Aitken all received the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association’s 2017 All-America Team honors. Defenseman Tanner Scales was named a 2017 USILA Scholar All-American.

The Cavalier men’s lacrosse team saw three of their players selected in the 2017 Major League Lacrosse Draft. Williams, Scales and attackman Joe French joined professional teams.

Women’s Lacrosse Awards and Accomplishments —

Sophomore midfielder Maggie Jackson was the star of award season, receiving All-ACC First Team honors, Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association All-South Region First Team, IWLCA All-American Second Team honors and Virginia Sports Information Director’s Women’s Lacrosse Player of the Year.

Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller was named the ACC Freshman of the Year. Three others made All-ACC Second Team, including defenseman Maggie Preas, junior midfielder Kasey Behr and sophomore defensemen Kaitlin Luzik. Mueller, Behr and attackmen Kelly Reese joined Jackson on IWLCA’s All-Region team.

Men’s Tennis Awards and Accomplishments —

Virginia continued its dominant streak in men’s tennis, winning its third NCAA Championship in four years. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski won the NCAA Men’s Singles Title after defeating North Carolina’s William Blumberg.

Kwiatkowski was named the ITA Senior Player of the Year and freshman Carl Soderlund was the ITA Atlantic Region Rookie of the Year. Alexander Ritschard was awarded the Atlantic Regional Most Improved Senior and won the Arthur Ashe Leadership and Sportsmanship award.

Women’s Tennis Awards and Accomplishments —

Freshman Rosie Johanson was awarded the ITA Rookie of the Year for the Atlantic Region. Johanson was also named to the All-ACC team as a member of the second team.

Men’s Golf Awards and Accomplishments —

Jimmy Stanger received recognition as the 2017 ACC Men’s Golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Stanger was also named a PING First-Team All-American and VaSID Men’s Golfer of the Year.

Derek Bard and sophomore Thomas Walsh received honorable mention as PING All-Americans. Stanger and Bard both gained the honor of being named to Golfweek’s All-America Team, with Stanger on the second-team and Bard as an honorable mention.

Women’s Golf Awards and Accomplishments —

For the second season in a row, sophomore Anna Redding was named to the ACC All-Academic Team.

Women’s Rowing Awards and Accomplishments —

Virginia women brought in their eighth straight ACC rowing title as five Cavaliers were recognized with the CRCA All-Region 3 and five others as CRCA National Scholar-Athletes.

Seniors Kameryn Corcoran, Jo Gurman and Dana Lueker, junior Marissa Patrick and sophomore Mackenzie King were all honored as CRCA National Scholar-Athletes. Seniors Georgia Ratcliff and Erin Briggs received CRCA All-Region 3 first team honors, and seniors Ellen Pate and Colette Lucas-Conwell, along with junior Jane Hudson, made second team.

Track and Field Awards/Accomplishments

Redshirt junior Filip Mihaljevic was the star of the 2017 award season. He repeated as the NCAA Champion in shot put and was also an NCAA Champion in discus. Mihaljevic was named a 2017 Bowerman Men’s Semifinalist and, for the second year in a row, earned ACC Outdoor Field Athlete of the Year.

Mihaljevic received recognition as USTFCCCA Southeast Region Men’s Field Athlete of the Year. He was joined by senior Jordan Young, redshirt sophomore Oghenakpobo Efekoro and sophomore Hilmar Jonsson, who all gained USTFCCCA First-Team All-America honors.